Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"file system formatter failed" (GTech and Yosemite)

i have a reasonably new (like three years old) 3 TB G Tech drive that i have been using for a Time Machine backup of my 2006 mac pro. as i upgrade to a 2012 i seem to be running into a lot of problems - including the issue that i am getting this error when i try and re-format this drive. i am reformatting since it says it is unreadable by my new machine when i plug it in. i also seem to have gotten some prompt at one point about GUID something or other.

i am finding some answers via a search on this that appear to recommend checking some setting or other when formatting but i can't find these settings in yosemite in disk utility so it is hard to tell what i should be doing.

any suggestions on what to do with this drive?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 2:04 AM

Just what setting are you looking for?

What links did you get that information from?

You could have a bad disk or bad electronics in the enclosure.

Have yo went to G Tech's support site?

13 replies

Mar 23, 2015 8:56 AM in response to hotwheels22

Format large disks

The bug is in the ERASE function in Disk Utility, 10.8.4 and later. If you can use PARTITION directly without ERASE, you will also avoid the Bug.

using a Disk Utility from any older Mac OS X, including the 10.6 DVD (if your Mac can boot from it) or any saved Installer DVD or thumb drive will work.

Another work-around is to move that drive to an external enclosure and Erase it there (provided your enclosure is modern enough to deal with drives over 2.2TB.

Since the enclosure supports larger than 2.2 TB drives that should not be an issue but I would try with 10.8,3 or earlier OSX version

Mar 23, 2015 9:08 AM in response to lllaass

hi lllaass, you're awesome.

i am having a very difficult upgrade process here (lots of things failing and this kind of help is really welcome).

just so i am sure how to retry this -

the GTech drive is a 3 TB aluminum like this deal here http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid-mini-external-2-tb-7200rpm

so it is in fact an external drive and if i understand it you are saying to just use the PARTITION TAB and to not try to format this drive with the ERASE functionality in yosemite?

THANK YOU

Mar 23, 2015 9:27 AM in response to The hatter

hatter,

are you making a comment or asking a question or are you giving me technical information to help me troubleshoot a problem with a failed backup drive?

i don't understand your response.

the old computer was running lion since this is as high as the 2006 would go and the new computer is now running yosemite.

does that help you help me?

THANKS

"file system formatter failed" (GTech and Yosemite)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.