Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to label an external hard drive?

Hello to all!

Currently I have two external drives which are getting filled up and have to be archived.

So far, I have resorted to this manner of identifying the drives: have stuck a tape upon the top edges and written the names upon them with a marker pen. I do not know whether this is a good method or wrong method to label the drives.

I would like to know whether one can write the name upon the hard drive directly with a marker pen. If yes, which is the proper or 'safe' area where one should write?

Regards and take care.

Dr. Somanna

iMac, iMac:21", MID-2011,

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 8:52 AM

Not knowing anything about what type of external drive you might have, I can only give generalities.

For most external drives, the only damage I can think you might do with a marker pen is cosmetic unless you stick it in one of the connector sockets or ventilation holes. Any flat surface that will take the ink should be safe for either direct ink or ink on tape. If you use tape, avoid covering ventilation holes if there's any chance you may want to use the drives while the tape is still on.

I've used direct ink (which I regretted sometimes for aesthetic reasons when I eventually thought about reusing the drives), ink on short pieces of tape (which tend to come up eventually), ink on card stock secured with longer pieces of tape all the way around the drive, and ink on an exterior container (like the original box).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2015 8:52 AM in response to somanna

Not knowing anything about what type of external drive you might have, I can only give generalities.

For most external drives, the only damage I can think you might do with a marker pen is cosmetic unless you stick it in one of the connector sockets or ventilation holes. Any flat surface that will take the ink should be safe for either direct ink or ink on tape. If you use tape, avoid covering ventilation holes if there's any chance you may want to use the drives while the tape is still on.

I've used direct ink (which I regretted sometimes for aesthetic reasons when I eventually thought about reusing the drives), ink on short pieces of tape (which tend to come up eventually), ink on card stock secured with longer pieces of tape all the way around the drive, and ink on an exterior container (like the original box).

How to label an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.