Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New mac upgrade question

Just bought a new Mac and upgraded to same OS as my current Mac, my questions is My current Mac running Yosemite 10.10.2 has an external hard drive for my iphoto and itunes libraries and another external hard drive which is my Time Machine.

What is the best way to set up my new Mac also now running OS10.10.2?

Should I use Migration assistant and simply plug in both externals HD to new mac?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), external drive for photo and itunes

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 7:34 PM

19 replies

Mar 22, 2015 7:38 PM in response to beatsc

You can migrate from the external drives, but not easily from the computers. Migrate your data from the Time Machine backups. I'm not sure how you want to handle the data on the other external drive except to restore it to the new computer if you have space on its internal SSD. Once your data are transferred to the new computer you may want to get additional backup drives if you plan to keep the old computer. Or if you don't, then use the external drives on the new computer exactly as you used them on the old one.

Mar 22, 2015 7:44 PM in response to beatsc

I would first use the time machine and put your new Mac into recovery mode by holding the command key + r when your computer is booting up. Then restore via Time Machine.

Once your computer boots up and you are on your desktop I would move your libraries to their respective folders for iPhoto what you need to do is copy the library to your photos folder under /Users/(your username)/Photos. Then to use the new library, your use the option key while clicking on iPhoto and select your new library.

For iTunes this is tricky, if you have individual songs then double click on them with your external drive connected and they should be migrated to your new iTunes library. When you do this expect the songs to start playing by themselves it always happens to me. You copied your iTunes folder itself then I would move it back into. If not then move your library to /Users/your username)/Music and put your library in there. To use the new library it is the same thing where you click on the library while holding the option key.

Hope this helps

Mar 22, 2015 7:45 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the response, just want to clarify.

If I migrate from TM backup it should bring all files and media with it? Once that is done I can simply plug in external hard drives to new mac and use one as media and one as TM back up?

The old mac is being moved to one of my kids rooms, so will probably have to buy an external for it once its moved there.

Mar 22, 2015 7:49 PM in response to beatsc

You are correct for your media drive, but Time Machine will see the new computer as different from the old one. Time Machine will then want to create a new, full backup. You may prefer to have Time Machine treat the new backup as a continuation of the old one. To accomplish that visit Pondini's Time Machine FAQ for help with how that's done. Or you can simply make a new backup on the old drive if you have space for a new backup. But if you don't then you would need to erase the old drive and start a new Time Machine backup.

Mar 22, 2015 8:10 PM in response to beatsc

Yes, you can start from scratch. If you have a 2011 or later model:

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

Mar 23, 2015 6:00 AM in response to Kappy

Ok looks like I have accomplished the restore the erase and rebuild OS X Yosemite.

Where can I find detailed step by step to use Set Up assistant to move an external HD with my iphoto, imovie and itunes libraries and my TM back up to new mac.

My assumption is restore new Mac from latest TM backup, then unplug both externals from old mac and plug in to new mac and all should be working, but that sounds too simple for some reason, although that would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Mar 23, 2015 10:29 AM in response to beatsc

Have you restarted from the new installation and gone through the Setup Assistant already? If so, then you missed where to restore from a Time Machine backup. But you can instead use Migration Assistant. However, you will be forced to create a second user account for your migrated Home folder.

How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

OS X- Manually migrating data from another Mac

Mar 23, 2015 1:47 PM in response to Kappy

I have not done that part yet, only the Erase and rebuild of OS X Yosemite. Did that overnight and had to go to work today so will be back at it this evening, hoping to restore from TM back up, but do I unplug that from "old" mac and plug into "new" mac in order to do that? or use set up to find it on same network

Thanks again for all your help.

New mac upgrade question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.