Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn my iphone into something not useless?

Hi i'm starting to get very frustrated. I bought an iphone 5 off craiglist the other day and was not aware of the whole needing the other person to be signed out of the account for the phone not to be complete garbage business. I thought it would work fine after taking it home where I would have wifi and put my sim card into it to work. I had an Ipod several years ago and was just switching back to the iphone. Apperantly from google searching and youtube viewing my only option is heavy paper clip and something that involves DNS Bypass which only gives limited capabilities. I could barely afford this it was 150 dollars. I broke my other phone and now I am completly screwed. My only option that I can even think of is to sell it back on craigslist scamming someone else for useless heap of garabage. I don't want to do that however. Im a full time student with a part time job and this really hurt me. Does apple even care about people getting screwed over? Is there some way I can fix this? Is there some way I can sell it legitimately? Is there some way I can actually talk to someone in apple without paying 30 dollars? If nothing can be done then so be it i'll do what I have to do, but if apple actually reads anything, I want them to know I will forever consider them as satan if nothing can be done. Thanks for reading and any help!

iPhone 5

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 9:53 PM

19 replies

Mar 22, 2015 10:16 PM in response to Revrunner01

You are speaking to Apple users here. Nobody here can speak for Apple.

As a student (literate person, interested in following process), you should be aware of the Terms of Use of this community:

Apple Support Communities Use Agreement

But as an Apple user, I can tell you buying an Apple object from Craigslist, which might have been previously stolen, is your issue and not Apple's.

You are likely a victim of Activation Lock:

Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

The issue is yours, not Apple's. Get your money back from Craigslist if you can.

Mar 22, 2015 10:23 PM in response to Revrunner01

Sorry, but as sberman indicated, the device is Activation Locked and only the person who put the lock on can take it off. Not sure why you would be vilifying Apple here. The person who screwed you over is the person who scammed you on Craigslist. They undoubtedly sold you a stolen phone.

Go back to the seller and get your money back, if possible. Going forward, if you do purchase a 2nd-hand device, do the following to protect yourself before doling out any money:

How do I check for Activation Lock before purchasing a used device?

When purchasing an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from someone other than Apple or an authorized Apple reseller, it is up to you to ensure that the device has been erased and is no longer linked to the previous owner’s account.

You can check the current Activation Lock status of a device by visiting icloud.com/activationlock from any Mac or PC.

Or you can follow the steps below to make sure that you can use the device you purchase:

1. Turn the device on and slide to unlock.
  2. If the passcode lock screen or the Home screen appears, the device hasn't been erased. Ask the seller to completely erase the device by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it's been erased.
  3. Begin the device setup process.
  4. After choosing a language, choosing a country, and connecting to a network, the device will begin activation. If you're asked for the previous owner’s Apple ID and password, the device is still linked to their account. Hand the device back to the seller and ask them to enter their password. If the previous owner isn't present, they can remove the device from their account by signing in to icloud.com/find. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been removed from the previous owner’s account.

You will know that a device is ready for you to use when you're asked to “Set up your iPhone," “Set up your iPad," or “Set up your iPod” during the device setup process.

Sorry for your troubles,

GB

Mar 23, 2015 6:09 AM in response to sberman

Sorry I know you guys are apple users. I spent several hours trying to work something out yesterday. Really I just felt the need to vent. However I was hoping someone would know how to contact apple. This is a major problem. While it does work among thieves people need to quit saying you are just out of luck. If I posted nothing I probably wouldn't get any attention from apple, but hopefully someone might pass it along or bring up their problem as well. This is a problem hurting innocent people more than the thieves.

Mar 23, 2015 6:17 AM in response to gail from maine

The reason I am "vilifying" apple here is for two reasons not being to activate my phone and terrible support. I shouldn't have to be asking the users what to do. Call of duty had better support than this. Even things like a 3ds I bought had a lock on it, but I was able to call nintendo and get it taken care of. Thats not the only problem though. It does things such as only partially see the emial of the user before. At least give me the whole thing so I can try and contact the original owner, instead of giving me no options. Also apple should and could really do something about this for people who are unaware of this problem when buying the used iphones. Something as simple as a "warning phone is still locked" poppping up when the phone starts would be great.

Mar 23, 2015 6:24 AM in response to Revrunner01

Apple can not provide contact information for individual to whom the phone is locked. That would violate numerous privacy laws.

You, as the buyer, are solely responsible for making sure the device you're purchasing is usable. This is not just an "Apple" issue. Locks like this are quickly becoming legally required to help reduce theft. Thefts of iPhones and other iOS devices have fallen significantly since the introduction of Activation lock.

If you can't get your money back, turn it over to the police and give them all the information you can on the person you purchased it from.

Mar 23, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Revrunner01

Revrunner01 wrote:

It does things such as only partially see the emial of the user before. At least give me the whole thing so I can try and contact the original owner, instead of giving me no options.

That would be a violation of privacy. The reason the partial information is displayed is so that people who have Activation Locked their own device with an old Apple ID will be able to recognize what it is locked to.

Revrunner01 wrote:

Also apple should and could really do something about this for people who are unaware of this problem when buying the used iphones. Something as simple as a "warning phone is still locked" poppping up when the phone starts would be great.

Apple does provide a way for you to find out if a device is Activation Locked. The link in the article information I provided for you has just that capability:

icloud.com/activationlock

If you are going to purchase something from Craigslist, then do some homework before doing so. eBay has a complete customer support team that helps buyers that are duped by a seller. If Craigslist does not have that sort of service, then maybe you should avoid buying things from that source. If you purchase a car from a used car dealer that turns out to be a total lemon, are you expecting the manufacturer of that vehicle to help you out?

GB

Mar 23, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Revrunner01

I appreciate all the responses. However don't buy off craiglist and check before you buy (in my defense if it turns on and appears to be in good working condition I would assume it would work) along with things of that nature are not a solution to my problem. I need to know solutions that I can actually do with this phone.

(This part is just a little rant from me.)

This IS a problem. This does no good for anyone except the thieves. If it was stolen then that person should have their phone back. If it wasn't stolen then I should have a usuable phone. The only person who made out well was the thief who now has my money. If it was just a small problem then there wouldn't be videos with nearly a million views on youtube on how to "bypass" it. It also leads to many fake sites saying they can fix it with either a download (viruses) or for money. It doesn't really hurt apple either because it justifies buying new products. People will tell you it will be alright as long as you just buy new. Used sells do little to affect apple so why should they care? I'm not OK with this.

If they can make it so I can't activate my product, the least they could do is add in a warning saying "This phone is under anothers apple ID do not attempt to purchase if not removed", as soon as the device is started up or after choosing a language. The way it is now you have to connect to the internet and you have to have a sim card (I know because my old sim card didn't fit the iphone 5 because it is nano and my old is micro, so I had to wait a day before I even knew it was under someone elses account because I had to get a new sim card) before you can even see a somewhat vague statement telling you that you have to get the original user to remove it from their account in a sidelink called activation help. So yes I do blame apple for poorly warning new apple buyers. While I do want a solution from apple I dont expect it. However they would have some respect from me if they could at least acknowledge that this is a problem and give a usual we will look into this further, that just about any other normal company would give.

Mar 23, 2015 1:15 PM in response to Revrunner01

There is NO solution to your problem. There is NO WAY to bypass the activation lock. YOU are responsible for knowing what you're getting into when you purchased used equipment. Just like YOU are responsible for making sure the title to the used car you're buying from some guy you never met for substantially less than it should be worth is clean and valid.

You blame Apple for not "warning new Apple buyers". Guess what. You are NOT an "Apple buyer". New, or otherwise. you didn't pay Apple anything at all. You bought a used phone.

This is absolutely NOT a problem. This is EXACTLY what Activation lock and the kill switches being implemented by other manufacturers is designed to do. It makes a stolen device useless.

I hate to say this, and I don't mean to insult you personally... but... people like you are the reason that the stolen phone market is so big and has been such a problem.

Take the phone to the police if the seller won't give you your money back and give them all the information you can on the person you bought it from. Maybe they can recover at least some of your money.

Mar 23, 2015 1:41 PM in response to KiltedTim

Fair enough nothing can be done about it. Sorry people who can't always afford new and need a phone quickly use craigslist. I've talked to several people at work and school who had no knowledge of this either. I just don't feel like its common enough knowledge yet to have no kind of warning. Unless you've been through this situation you don't really know how it feels, its like being kicked when your already down. It looks like a lose lose situation for me. I just want others not to have to go through the same process I have.

Mar 23, 2015 1:47 PM in response to Revrunner01

It could have been worse ... it might have been an automobile instead of a phone - involving a whole lot more money.

The analogy seems clear: someone buys a used car online, pays for it, takes possession of it. Then a few days later the police show up and confiscate the car because it was stolen by the thief who sold it.

Would the car maker be involved in this in any way? Not at all. But the purchaser who had the opportunity to research the car's ownership history might have avoided this whole thing.

How do I turn my iphone into something not useless?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.