Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Skip count/Play count - when iTunes increments them

I am posting this is an FYI because I went looking for the answers to these questions and only found vague answers that were over 7 years old. I then did some testing with iTunes 12.1 to find out exactly how it behaves in relation to skip and play counts. (I find it irritating that these are not defined or described in iTunes help at all.)

Skip count: iTunes will increment this when the song has been played between 2 and 19 seconds. Skipping at 20 seconds or more will not increment the skip count.

Play count: iTunes will increment this when either the song reaches the end OR if you skip to the next song with 10 seconds or less left to play. This includes if you were to pause the song with 10 seconds or fewer left and then chose a different song that you played directly.

I have NOT tried these tests on an iPhone/Pad/Pod and sync'd back to see if the devices update the counts in the same manner.

Posted on Mar 22, 2015 7:39 PM

There are no replies.

Skip count/Play count - when iTunes increments them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.