Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

word definition feature not working on iPad version of iBooks

When I open up an iBook on my iMac and double click a word, a definition pops up. That used to happen also in iBooks on my iPad2, running a previous version of iOS. Recently downloaded iOS 8 to my iPad and now the word definition just pops up a window with the message No Definition Found.

How do I fix this?

iPad 2, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 4:01 AM

3 replies

Jul 28, 2015 6:12 AM in response to DaveAnd65

Hi DaveAnd65,

It is possible that your selected dictionary for iBooks was lost or needs to be re-installed. Doubld-tap a word in iBooks and tab Define. Then, tap on the link Manage at the bottom left of the definition popup. You should be presented with a list of available dictionaries to either download and/or select. Once you've downloaded and select your dictionary the definitions should immediately be displayed. A restart will not fix this problem, and is not necessary.

word definition feature not working on iPad version of iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.