Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBookPro Early 2011 updated to Yosemite will no longer boot.

Hi All,

I had a Mac issue a few months ago where it started to work very slow, lagging, the turning ball kept appearing.

I backed up what I needed therefore, I care less about the data.

Since then, at some point I wanted to encrypt it but I believe I might have done something to it with an interruption. In any case it kept working and that bar started appearing bellow the apple logo.

Shortly after -> completely unbootable.

My troubleshoot so far:

1. Reboot -> nothing

2. Single user mode -> ran the shown commands and said the Drive is OK -> rebooted -> nothing.

3. Ran in verbose mode, saw several errors:

BUG in process suhel[perd[136 (and 139)]: over released legcay external boost assertions (1 total, 1 external, 0 legacy -external)

also saw in the work up of verbose _> error 107 rebuilding /system/library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/startup/kernelcache

Also a Warning: couldnt block sleep duringncache update

and Warning: proceeding without DlskArb

Previous shutdown cause -128

DSMOS has arrived

What else did I do:

Tried the AHT -> ran normal test and extensive test -> Both reported that there "are no troubles"

I tried Cmd+R and just R -> a few times I saw the spinning globe asked me for WiFi pw -> no success. Reboots and cant enter any GUI

Tried Safe Mode or Recovery where you have basic functions and DiskUtil -> I cannot even enter.

I have reset the NVRAM etc but no go

I made a Yosemite and Snow Leopard (My original OS) bootable USB Drives and tried booting from them -> it goes to a grey screen and nothing else from the Snow Leo

The Yosemite -> did not even want to boot up. It didnt found it once and then new USB found but not booted.

I believe I havent tried anything else but I am still unable to access my computer.

I do not have the original disks (Cant find them)

Oh, I tried with a Windows installation disk, just to see what might happen -> black screen.

Please, desperately need help. I have a VMWare OSX at the moment and several flash drives I can experiment with.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 5:55 AM

11 replies

Mar 23, 2015 6:01 AM in response to Nallatheryth

Previous shutdown cause -128

A negative shutdown code may indicate a hardware problem. The precise meaning of the codes is not publicly documented.

If you haven't already done so, you can try resetting the System Management Controller. Otherwise, or if the reset has no effect, see below.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Mar 23, 2015 6:09 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

As I mentioned in my post, I dont have the original disks. For the life of me, I cant remember where I put them when I was moving.

The USB I reimaged it several times. The drive itself is working because:

1. I succesfully installed Windows OS with the same a few hours before that

2. WHen I plug it into the virtual mac it starts the auto run

Cant figure this either.

Mar 23, 2015 10:58 AM in response to Nallatheryth

I have succesfully booted the HardDisk into another machine. Reformatted it and re-installed with Yosemite. It worked nicely and is fully functional it seems. Worked slow but it was a virtual machine never the less. The Mac itself, once I plugged the HDD back in, would not want to boot. Same situation happened as before (I tried Internet Recovery, Safe Mode (the shift hold) and normal startup:

I hear the chime -> Grey screen -> Apple Logo -> Bar underneath that goes about 1/4 of the way [no weird or bad sounds from anywhere are heard] -> Goes to Greyish/Whiteish screen and stucks there {2nd scenario, reboots itself as if in a loop} In that last phase, the Fans go berserk of sound and overheat although not everytime.

Before I give up and go to a repair shop where they will skin me as the prices here are awful -> Does any one have any other idea of what might be done?

Mar 23, 2015 11:07 AM in response to Nallatheryth

Nallatheryth wrote:

The Mac itself, once I plugged the HDD back in, would not want to boot. Same situation happened as before (I tried Internet Recovery, Safe Mode (the shift hold) and normal startup:

Did you install the HDD into the MBP when you tried to start it? If so, install it into an enclosure and try to boot it externally via USB. If it boots, then you have a faulty internal connection. The SATA cable is the prime suspect.

Ciao.

Mar 23, 2015 11:11 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi All!

Contrary to all expectations -> My beloved Mac is back from the dead!!!! Working nicely and already connecting to all other devices at home.

What happened -> probably the reinstallation of the HDD helped. I am not sure which of eveything. I fittted it back into the internal enclosure (well currently its all on parts and cables but will be reinstated sooon)

Booted -> Nothing happened. Went again -> Super heated fans and reboot. I left it like this and concentrated on something else. After awhile, I heard the HDD working and sawa black screen, for some reason I pressed a button and was welcomed by the Login screen 🙂

So now its working and I hope it shall remain this way.

Thank you for all suggestions and ideas

MacBookPro Early 2011 updated to Yosemite will no longer boot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.