Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to deactivate Siri on Home Button

Hi guys,

my iphone 6 has the newest ios version (8.2). There seems to be a bug regarding siri. I can not disable siri in any way! I tried the solution from this post: How to disable voice control (ios 8) but it did not work. Disabling siri seems not to have any effect at all.

This really p.i.s.s.e.s me off! In every meeting its the same s.h.i.t. I have the phone in my pocket and by accident the home button presses against the chair and voila, siri. SIRI! Argh! No really, this is just so annoying! How the f* can i disable this once and for all!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2, null

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 4:34 AM

16 replies

Mar 23, 2015 5:23 AM in response to 1nclude

I keep my phone in a pocket most of the time and have never once managed to accidentally activate Siri. So, yes, I'm serious. The only way I can see that happening is if you're putting the phone in a back pocket and sitting on it. Not a great idea, for all sorts of reasons. So there are available pockets whch are clearly the "wrong pocket" for keeping an iPhone.

Mar 23, 2015 5:25 AM in response to 1nclude

1. Try a reset: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps BEFORE doing the reset.
  2. Settings app > General > Siri > turn off.

Mar 23, 2015 5:49 AM in response to 1nclude

Funny thing is. When i enable siri (settings -> general -> siri) and disable siri on the lock screen (settings -> touch id), it will not pop up when the phone is locked and i press the home button, but when i disable siri again (settings -> general -> siri), it will pop up when i press the home button, even on lock screen... And btw, it also pops up on the lock screen when i disable voice dial (settings -> touch id) which is only visible when you disable siri. I also reproduced this behaviour on 2 other iphone 6 with the latest ios 8.2 so this really seems to be a bug... can someone in this forum please try to reproduce it?

Oct 11, 2015 3:12 PM in response to harlanleyside

Hello, there, harlaneyside. Your suggested settings seem reasonable, and are indeed the only ones I've been able to find on this website or anywhere else in my searches across the web. Much appreciated, and I'll keep looking. N.b., though, on both my iPad Mini and my iPhone 6+, both scrupulously maintained and at 9.0.2 (as of this post on 10/11/15), these settings changes seem not to suffice. If I hold down the Home button on either device, the device "obediently" (or, I would call it, "disobediently") blacks the screen and presents a wave form, waiting for my voice to suggest a request for help.

"Call me frustrated."

"Okay, you're Frustrated. How can I help you, Frustrated?"

Oct 12, 2015 7:21 AM in response to F J Poblam

Yeah, I thought it worked at first, but it doesn't; sorry. I now have an iPad with Smart Case and I can avoid using the home button by combining the Case's sleep-wake feature with a 'floating' on screen home button (available in Settings> General> Accessibility> Assistive Touch> On). So far, since I first turned on the iPad, I've only used the physical Home button once, to do a reset. As for the iPhone, well, at least I'm using it much less now, so Siri problem less hassle. I also use Assitive Touch on iPhone, but it can be a pain, 'cos of smaller screen.

Oct 12, 2015 8:53 AM in response to harlanleyside

Yep, smart cover for me, too. But I'm (for now) using the iPhone as much, for one thing the convenience of Apple Pay, and for another (since its screen is so big) the convenience of not needing the pad during long trips. (Heck, using Textastic, I can even maintain my websites ☺️)

Ah, well, "Siri, call me a taxi." "Okay, you're a taxi." "Siri, call out for a pizza." "Okay. YO! PIZZA!”

How to deactivate Siri on Home Button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.