Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought a Mac off craigslist and its got a firmware lock PlEASE HELP!

Hey guys, just bought a macbook air 2013 . When i turn it on it has a black screen with a flashing question mark folder. If I hold down power and option it brings me to the lock screen with the empty text box. I am very uneducated with Macs. I would really appreciate it for some help. What does the question mark thats flashing mean and how can I retrieve the password if the girl forgot what it was. She claims it just locked up on her and she couldnt rememeber the password. Thank you guys.

MacBook Air, 2013

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 6:42 AM

8 replies

Mar 23, 2015 10:57 AM in response to GreekApple

Facebook and Craigslist. Made for each other.

If the seller has any integrity whatsoever, she will take it back, refund your money, apologize profusely for selling you a Mac that doesn't work, and for wasting your time.

The EFI password is designed specifically to keep the Mac's information secure from unauthorized use. Apple's concern for its customers' information security is paramount. There are no back doors and the security it provides cannot be bypassed. There are dubious services advertising that capability though. I have no experience with them and I have no idea if they work. I do know they're expensive.

Bought a Mac off craigslist and its got a firmware lock PlEASE HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.