Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have just got an Airport time Capsule for back up how do I do it? Do I put the ethernet cable into the back of my sky hub because when I do that the amber light on my Time Capsule flashes amber. Please talk in simple terms as I am a

I have just got an Apple Airport time capsule to back up my one year old iMac......how do I do it? I have tried putting an ethernet cable into the time capsule and to my sky hub, all I get is a flashing amber light, can anyone help I am a silver surfer not used to Apple products, but love them, plus I don't understand half of the jargon....HELP please

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 10:14 AM

Apple's Setup Guide for the Time Capsule is pretty simple and clear for most users, and you don't indicate at what point or step that you are getting stuck.

So, please go to page 8 in your Setup Guide to review the topic of Plugging In Your AirPort Time Capsule.

The Sky hub will likely have 4 Ethernet <--> ports on the back of the device. Pick any one that you want and connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the port that you choose.

Then, connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the WAN (circle of dots) port as shown in the Setup Guide.

Continuing with the instructions on page 8 of the Setup Guide, power up the Time Capsule by connecting the power cord from the back of the Time Capsule to a wall AC jack.

Note that the instructions indicate that the indicator light will be solid amber during startup, and it will change to blinking amber during the setup. The light will remain blinking amber until you have configured the Time Capsule at which time the light will turn green.

Next, go to page 12 of the Setup Guide to see the information to Use your Mac or iOS device to set up your AirPort Time Capsule.

You indicated in your tag line that you were using OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), and since that will exceed the minimum requirement of a Mac using OS X (10.7.5) as noted in the guide, you can use your Mac to set up the Time Capsule.

Continuing with the instructions on page 12 of the Setup Guide......

1. Open AirPort Utility on your Mac. It is located as follows: Finder (the smiley face on the dock) > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

2. Select your AirPort Time Capsule and click Continue. You won't be able to do this, but read further......If you do not see the AirPort Time Capsule that you want to configure, choose it from the WiFi status menu in the menu bar, at the top of the screen.

So, clicking on the WiFi icon will yield a small window that looks like this:

The example below shows an AirPort Extreme. You will see Time Capsule on your screen. Click on Time Capsule.

User uploaded file

When you click on Time Capsule, that will get the setup wizard going. it will take a minute to analyze the network, then display a screen that looks similar to the illustration below, except that you will see a picture of a Time Capsule on your screen

3. Continuing with the Setup Guide.......Follow the onscreen prompts to create a new network

User uploaded file

Network Name...........Type in a simple name that you want to call your network. Do not use the suggested name.

Base Station Name....Type in a simple name that you want to call the Time Capsule. Mine is TC, for example.

Password...................Type in a password that will be used for both the network and the Time Capsule. Write that down.

Verify..........................Type in the password again to Verify

Click Next

The setup wizard will configure everything for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

The Time Capsule is now set up and it will display a green light.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2015 10:14 AM in response to Iresee

Apple's Setup Guide for the Time Capsule is pretty simple and clear for most users, and you don't indicate at what point or step that you are getting stuck.

So, please go to page 8 in your Setup Guide to review the topic of Plugging In Your AirPort Time Capsule.

The Sky hub will likely have 4 Ethernet <--> ports on the back of the device. Pick any one that you want and connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the port that you choose.

Then, connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the WAN (circle of dots) port as shown in the Setup Guide.

Continuing with the instructions on page 8 of the Setup Guide, power up the Time Capsule by connecting the power cord from the back of the Time Capsule to a wall AC jack.

Note that the instructions indicate that the indicator light will be solid amber during startup, and it will change to blinking amber during the setup. The light will remain blinking amber until you have configured the Time Capsule at which time the light will turn green.

Next, go to page 12 of the Setup Guide to see the information to Use your Mac or iOS device to set up your AirPort Time Capsule.

You indicated in your tag line that you were using OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), and since that will exceed the minimum requirement of a Mac using OS X (10.7.5) as noted in the guide, you can use your Mac to set up the Time Capsule.

Continuing with the instructions on page 12 of the Setup Guide......

1. Open AirPort Utility on your Mac. It is located as follows: Finder (the smiley face on the dock) > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

2. Select your AirPort Time Capsule and click Continue. You won't be able to do this, but read further......If you do not see the AirPort Time Capsule that you want to configure, choose it from the WiFi status menu in the menu bar, at the top of the screen.

So, clicking on the WiFi icon will yield a small window that looks like this:

The example below shows an AirPort Extreme. You will see Time Capsule on your screen. Click on Time Capsule.

User uploaded file

When you click on Time Capsule, that will get the setup wizard going. it will take a minute to analyze the network, then display a screen that looks similar to the illustration below, except that you will see a picture of a Time Capsule on your screen

3. Continuing with the Setup Guide.......Follow the onscreen prompts to create a new network

User uploaded file

Network Name...........Type in a simple name that you want to call your network. Do not use the suggested name.

Base Station Name....Type in a simple name that you want to call the Time Capsule. Mine is TC, for example.

Password...................Type in a password that will be used for both the network and the Time Capsule. Write that down.

Verify..........................Type in the password again to Verify

Click Next

The setup wizard will configure everything for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

The Time Capsule is now set up and it will display a green light.

I have just got an Airport time Capsule for back up how do I do it? Do I put the ethernet cable into the back of my sky hub because when I do that the amber light on my Time Capsule flashes amber. Please talk in simple terms as I am a

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.