Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode not working

Hi,

I am trying to use Target Display Mode between:

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

and

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

I have plugged in a male-male Thunderbolt cable and tried Cmd-Ctrl-F2 and Cmd-Ctrl-fn-F2 on both machines and neither seem to work.

I have tried the usual, restart, close apps etc.

I am grateful for any suggestions...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 6:44 AM

5 replies

Mar 25, 2015 1:17 PM in response to NocD

Hi NocD,

Have you tried just Cmd + F2? I thought I'd have to use the Fn button, but I didn't. That keystroke prompts a script called "dpd" which then puts OS X into sleep mode and uses the display to extend your laptop's display. Naturally, the cable you use has to be a Thunderbolt cable and not a MiniDisplayport cable. I don't know what the difference is, honestly, except for cost.

This worked for me two times but I can't get it to work, now. Now, I use the Cmd + F2 shortcut and the "lib exec" script pops up in the dock toward the right. When it worked, I saw this script pop up (in a little folder icon) and then the display switched over perfectly. Now, I launch the script and the folder just sits there. I have to go into Force Quit Applications to shut it down. It's always listed as not responding, now.

It seems like it should work for you, assuming you have the right cable. Try the keystroke without the Fn button? Change Thunderbolt ports? Try a different cable?

Mar 25, 2015 2:08 PM in response to NocD

Howdy NocD,

In order to invoke Target Display Mode (on the system that you intend to use as a display) the keyboard command is Command + F2 (or Command + Fn + F2).

• Press Command-F2 on the keyboard of the iMac being used as a display to enable TDM.
  • Note: In Keyboard System Preferences, if the checkbox is enabled for "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard functions keys," the key combination changes to Command-Fn-F2.

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3924

Cheers,

Allen

Target Display Mode not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.