Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Macintosh 7600/132. How do I import a program I downloaded on a CD. The mac does´t show the CD ikon on the desktop

Power Macintosh 7600/132. How do I import a program into my Mac 7600/132 I downloaded on a CD from my iMac. The Mac 7600/132 does´t show the CD ikon on the desktop. Im stuck here cuz I need the program to transfer the files on my Mac 7600/132 to my new iMac.

Can anyone help me?

all the best

michael

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 8:12 AM

Old optical drives get dirty. Try a drive cleaning disk in the 7600 before doing naything else.

What iMac model and OS, and what program are you trying to import the the 7600? There are few if any programs left that can run on a 7600. The model of the iMac is important to figuring out if you can do the transfers without software.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2015 8:12 AM in response to thezinius

Old optical drives get dirty. Try a drive cleaning disk in the 7600 before doing naything else.

What iMac model and OS, and what program are you trying to import the the 7600? There are few if any programs left that can run on a 7600. The model of the iMac is important to figuring out if you can do the transfers without software.

Mar 23, 2015 9:12 AM in response to thezinius

A Power Macintosh 7600/132 (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP370) has the ability to read CD-ROM discs (but not DVD).

It is usually recommended to burn a disc at a low speed, and to use CD-R (not CD-RW).

If you are planning to use a downloaded Mac application/utlity (intended for the 7600/132), do keep the encoding (.bin or .hqx) intact until on the old Mac. Once there, use an appropriate version of StuffIt Expander to decode the .bin or .hqx. As a general rule, do not attempt to decode or decompress anything on a modern machine (be it a Mac or a PC).

Discs in an ISO 9660 format can be read, providing that the corresponding helper file is in place in the Extensions folder (https://support.apple.com/kb/TA35729).

The information requested by Allan Jones would be of help (also, pplease let us know which operating system version is on the 7600/132).

Jan

Mar 23, 2015 1:31 PM in response to thezinius

Hi,

If I understand things correctly, the minimum requirements for Cubase SX 3 are a Power Macintosh G4 and Mac OS X 10.3.3. If so, that means that the program cannot be used on a Power Macintosh 7600/132. That would also explain why the aforementioned file is a .dmg (a disk image type used with Mac OS X).

You may want to contact the manufacturer Steinberg for information about whether another program/version for Mac OS 9 or earlier is available.

If you just wish to transfer files on the 7600/132 to the new iMac, Ethernet can be used locally (TCP/IP, via a router with a switch). "Normal" file sharing does not work because of operating system incompatibilities. However, you could install a small FTP server (such as the now free NetPresenz) on the 7600/132, and then access the files using an FTP client on the modern machine. Alternatively, you could use a "cloud drive" on the Internet. The Danish System 7.6 should include basic TCP/IP software. It should be possible to use a CD-R for any needed transfers of files (like the FTP server software) to the 7600/132, unless that computer is capable of connecting directly to the Internet.

Jan

Power Macintosh 7600/132. How do I import a program I downloaded on a CD. The mac does´t show the CD ikon on the desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.