Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank videos appear after importing photos and videos from iPhone to MacBook Air.

After I import all photos and videos from my iOS 8 iPhone 5S to iPhoto (9.6.1) on my MacBook Air (10.10.2), I select the option to delete them from my phone. Then, a bunch of blank videos appear on my phone that cannot be imported to iPhoto. There are slightly less than the number of videos I just imported and deleted, and many of the dates and times are similar to the videos I imported, but not exact (e.g. Imported video taken March 4 at 12:22pm, blank video reads March 4 12:23pm).

I tried taking a few short videos and then deleting some, thinking that maybe the blank videos were mirrors of videos I had deleted via my phone, but once I imported video and deleted via iPhoto, no blank videos showed up. I think maybe it only happens when a large number of photos and videos are being imported?

I have a new baby and, therefore, take TONS of video. This makes it hard to keep track of any videos that may be missing. I guess I'm worried that the blank videos are real videos that have now been ruined. Is this the case? Why does this happen?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 8:22 AM

5 replies

Dec 8, 2017 7:58 PM in response to vmorrill14

Those "ghost" files are simply the 3seconds of video clips, which are captured during taking "Live Photos".

When imported and deleted via PC, those "live photo" videos are not deleted for some reason, I have been manually deleting them by selecting them one by one on "Camera Roll" in the Albums.

Shorther path to select multiple files at a time is, instead of going to Camera Roll, go into Places, and then select the location which you know you have deleted the pictures, that way you'll be able to select and delete multiple "ghost" files at a time. I just deleted ~1900 of them in 30 seconds...

Apr 21, 2015 6:19 PM in response to JamianneV

Hi JamianneV, I had the same issue when I imported my photos and videos to my PC. I was wondering if you discovered any fixes or if you noticed if they were your actual videos. Like you, I have a ton of files (over 2,000) and I didn't take notice to how many videos I had before I imported. I am hoping they are not corrupt video files, that would be extremely disappointing. Thank you.

Blank videos appear after importing photos and videos from iPhone to MacBook Air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.