Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save clips for future video editing

I have a bunch of old Sony Digital 8 tapes as well as some HD tapes that I would like to transfer to my iMac before they become unreadable and for ease of editing. Each tape has 30-40 clips of family events. I have imported an hour of Digital 8 video to iMovie without a problem but have been unable to figure out how to do what I want. iMovie seems to be project oriented, but I am not interested in a project now. I would like to be able to save all of the short clips individually so I can access them for projects in the future (e.g. my daughter plays basketball, I have many clips of her playing basketball on different tapes. Someday I might want to make a movie of her playing basketball through the years and be able to access each clip easily).

Can anyone help me figure out a way on iMovie, or another video editing program, that I can export and save all of these clips separately?

Thanks so very much!!

iMovie 10.0.7 on Retina iMac with Yosemite 10.10.2.

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 9:15 AM

1 reply

Mar 25, 2015 2:52 PM in response to William Baguley

Hi William Baguley,

When you import your video clips into iMovie, you will create an Event, which is like a folder, to organize your clips. You can combine them all into one event, (ie. Family Events), or you can create an event for each Sony tape. It is totally up to you.

When you are ready, you will create a Project to combine and edit clips (ie your daughter's basketball) from various events.

iMovie (2013): Importing overview
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH14670?viewlocale=en_AE&locale=en_AE

If you wish to try our professional video edting program, Final Cut Pro X, click on the link below for information and a free trial version of the software.

Apple - Final Cut Pro X - Overview
https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/

Have a great day!

- Judy

Save clips for future video editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.