Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut pro 7 10 Bit Rendering

Hello. I am filmmaker currently doing a lot of work in final cut pro 7 and have recently found out that when rendering the timeline it will only render in 10 Bit, even when the footage is 12 Bit Prores 444 or 4444. What I would like to know is, If I do import and edit with 12bit material. Would it be possible to after im happy with the edit, simply delete all of the fcp render files that are now 10bit in their render folder (which im assuming is what the millions of colours + in the quicktime rendering options is all about) and export an XML of the timeline while it is un-rendered and open the XML in something like After Effects to render properly in 12bit by selecting Trillions of colours with no alpha (which im assuming is the same as 12 Bit Prores 444). Will this work? when you import Prores 4444 in fcp 7 does it remain 12 Bit until you hit render? Any Help is much appreciated and feel free to correct my perspectives 🙂

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 9:58 AM

7 replies

Mar 24, 2015 10:16 PM in response to Shane Ross

So if I do 10-20 etc renders of a timeline and I then delete the render files in their folder, returning the timeline to un-rendered clips with a red line indicating a need for rendering are these clips in the timeline now exactly the same as the original 12 Bit media I am importing from a footage folder in the first place? When FCP first imports source media from a source footage folder am I just looking at a presentation of original source media until I render? Basically what im trying to say is does it return 10 Bit rendered media back in to the original 12Bit source files when I reverse the process in this way by deleting the render files after several FCP renders have been done? Is it like a reset button?

Mar 26, 2015 7:23 AM in response to Elliott DoP

My plan is to take an XML across of the project to After effects will that work? And if i delete the renders in fcp will i be left with a 12bit un-rendered timeline that i can export as an XML. I need to know if I delete the render files do the clips return to 12bit on the timeline reversing the processing quicktime will do, allowing me to then make an XML from it that will have the same properties as the imported source footage, cause im assuming when fcp imports its just making a link to wherever the source footage is on my computer and not doing anything to it until I render...?

Mar 26, 2015 9:41 AM in response to Elliott DoP

Not sure that After Effects can import an XML...unless it's changed. Before I've always had to use Automatic Duck's Pro Export AE to get it there. That's now free, but when I got it, it was $500.

No, you don't need to delete the render files, they don't go to AE, only the master clips are linked. But know if you grade in AE, and export from there...THAT should be your master file. If you send anything back to FCP, and drop it into a timeline...it'll be 10 bit again. So send to AE, and master out of AE.

Mar 26, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Elliott DoP

Not sure that After Effects can import an XML...unless it's changed. Before I've always had to use Automatic Duck's Pro Export AE to get it there. That's now free, but when I got it, it was $500.

No, you don't need to delete the render files, they don't go to AE, only the master clips are linked. But know if you grade in AE, and export from there...THAT should be your master file. If you send anything back to FCP, and drop it into a timeline...it'll be 10 bit again. So send to AE, and master out of AE.

Final Cut pro 7 10 Bit Rendering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.