Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to backup iPhone to 2ᴺᴰ laptop?

Hi guys,

I backed up my iPhone 6 Plus to my Windows laptop last month. But now, this laptop is running low on free memory space. So, I would like to back up this iPhone to my MacBook Pro. Can I do this by just connecting it to the mac, opening iTunes and clicking backup? or is there another way?

Thanks!

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 2:44 PM

5 replies

Mar 23, 2015 2:47 PM in response to craigsequeira

You can do it that way. However, before I did that I would make sure that you have that iTunes set to not sync automatically. Otherwise, you could lose a great deal of information. If a backup is all you want, you can do that. However, if you are going to backup to the Mac, if you have to restore to that backup, you would not be able to restore things that are not contained in the backup, such as music and apps.

Mar 23, 2015 2:57 PM in response to craigsequeira

craigsequeira wrote:

Hi guys,

I backed up my iPhone 6 Plus to my Windows laptop last month. But now, this laptop is running low on free memory space. So, I would like to back up this iPhone to my MacBook Pro. Can I do this by just connecting it to the mac, opening iTunes and clicking backup? or is there another way?

Thanks!

NO. If you "just connect it to your Mac" you are likely to lose content, UNLESS you do the following: Launch iTunes on the computer, go to iTunes Preferences, click on Devices, and check "Prevent iPhones, iPads and iPods from syncing automatically".

And be sure never to click any Sync or Apply buttons that appear.

And note that the backup does not include music, videos or apps.

How to backup iPhone to 2ᴺᴰ laptop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.