Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad keeps flashing 'power off' button

Our ipad, running 8.2, is doing some odd thing where it keeps waking from sleep and shows the 'slide to power off' button. The power button itself only works half the time, but while playing Pandora, for example, the screen will go to sleep for less than 30 seconds, flash the player info, then show the 'slide to power off' button. I've reset all content settings, so do not know what else to do. It seems to always be in this loop when the screen goes to sleep.

Has anyone else experienced this?

iPad, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 5:41 PM

4 replies

Mar 23, 2015 6:01 PM in response to Captain Scout

You might have an app causing the problem, you might have a battery issue, maybe even a hardware problem like a short that could be causing the weird behavior. I have never seen anybody post about this specific issue, and I don't know what might be causing it, my first inclination would be to close all apps and then try a reset.

Force an app to close in iOS - Apple Support

Then reset the iPad. Don't just restart the device, use the instructions for the reset,

Restart or reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

A couple of other thoughts .... Do you have a cover that could be interfering with the sleep button or a screen protector that might be cursing problems?

EDIT - my apologies to Cunnia. I took too long to type and edit my response and I posted some of the same information. That was not done intentionally.

Mar 23, 2015 7:55 PM in response to Demo

I have done the reset several times. The crazy thing is when I actually go ahead and slide it the ipad to off, it immediately restarts on its own without any provocation on my part. I deleted and reinstalled Pandora and several other apps, but that did not help, either. It's either a short, a software bug or, if nothing else, a vengeful spirit.

Mar 25, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Captain Scout

So, in case anyone has similar problems, this issue is stemming from a hardware issue. The power button, for whatever reason (a short?), is acting as though it is constantly being held down, so is cycling through this loop of sleep, wake, power off option, then back again. Not sure what the repair process is, but just wanted to share with anyone who has the same problem.

ipad keeps flashing 'power off' button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.