Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch generation 4 iMessage won't activate.

A day or so ago I tried to go into my iMessage and was greeted by a screen with a "Get Started" button on it as if I hadn't set up iMessage already. I promptly tapped the button and it asked me to enter my apple ID. (it already had my email address entered for some reason) After signing in another screen asking me which email I wanted to use popped up and I selected the only email I had associated with the apple ID account. After hitting 'next' it said 'Verifying' with a loading prompt next to it, after it says this for 5-10 seconds it confusingly goes back to the sign in menu I saw before. Nothing has changed and when I try to log in again it does the same thing.I can't get into iMessage which is exceedingly frustrating. I am on the latest version of iOS that is available for the 4th Generation iPod touch (iOS 6.1.6) and this happened totally out of the blue, I did nothing to the device except regularly using it prior to the problem. I have turned the device on and off with iMessage and Facetime off (it is doing the same with facetime although I rarely use it) and I have even reset the device out of desperation. I have called apple support, searched on the internet for many fixes which I have tried (obviously none of them working) and now I am here. Any comments or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 3:41 PM

15 replies

Mar 23, 2015 3:49 PM in response to stuckenthemud

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime

FaceTime, Game Center, Messages: Troubleshooting sign in issues

Next

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Mar 24, 2015 6:02 PM in response to stuckenthemud

I feel your pain, I have been trying to fix my daughters iPod to 4th generation for three days now, she is having the exact same issue. I've tried all the things you have with no luck, (very frustrating!)

I Sure hope they come up with a fix soon. My daughter is 11 and this is her main texting device so having it down for any length of time is of course a nightmare and makes her desire for a iPhone even bigger.

May 22, 2015 9:55 AM in response to stuckenthemud

Exact same issue here, iPod 4G, Settings -> Messages -> Enter Email -> Verifying... Then back to enter Email with no error message or anything. Oddly I can enter another apple ID, and that works. So it appears to be something with the apple id i'm using. I've also tried both accounts on an iPhone and they both validate fine.

AppleID1 AppleID2

iPod 4G Works Doesn't Validate

iPhone 6 Works Works

I feel like I've tried everyhing. Date/Time settings, DNS (8.8.8.8) settings, two step verification off on both accounts. Don't know what to do. it's my son's iPod and he complains to me all the time. 🙂

Jun 20, 2015 4:58 PM in response to stuckenthemud

I have two 4G iPod Touch, one for my son & one for my daughter. I have set them up identically one logs into iMessage the other doesn't. have soft reset, reset all and reloaded, changed DNS . literally spent hours trying to get it to work.

problem happens when after successful login to iMessage where the verification process constantly takes us back to login.

iPod touch generation 4 iMessage won't activate.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.