Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie closing after opening

Hi everyone! I recently downloaded the new update for iMovie; however, it would always close every time I tried to open it. It would just try to load previous movies I made then close on it's own. My sister suggested for me to delete/uninstall iMovie completely, but now that I've done that I'm unable to re-install it since the only option that it gives me on the app store is to "open" the app, which obviously does nothing at all. HELP PLEASE 😕

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 8:31 PM

3 replies

Mar 24, 2015 1:19 AM in response to thatssoblasian

I have the same experience with my Late 2011 15-inch Macbook Pro running on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2. The version of iMovie having this issue is 10.0.7.

Upon launching the app, it will load all events and projects, but then will just crash every time.

I was thinking of restoring from my Time Machine backup but afraid I may lose all my latest projects/events (will it, or will it not?).

Hope someone can suggest a way to fix this. Cheers.

Mar 24, 2015 4:46 PM in response to JGinteraction

I had problems with iMovie not opening after the update to 10.0.7. Myself and others have had success using the steps below, you could give it a try...

1. Locate your iMovie library in Finder (probably in ~/Movies).

2. Ctrl-click on it, and click Show Package Contents.

3. You should see a list of folders, one for each Event in your Library. Inside each Event folder, look for a folder called Transcoded Media. Inside that folder, look inside the folder called High Quality Media.

3. If you see any files with a filesize of zero bytes, delete it. (You could back up each file before deleting if it makes you more comfortable, but I had no problems just deleting them)

4. Relaunch the application.

After I performed these steps iMovie 10.0.7 launched fine for me again... Hope it helps you also.

iMovie closing after opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.