Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multi channel audio not exporting from fcpx xml as mono to logic always comes in a mixed surround

I have a long edit cut with 24 bit multi channel wav files (i.e 6 microphones on separate tracks but in a single wav file.)

This is very a very common production practice.

when i import into fcpx it defaults to seeing the files as surround. I change this to mono so i can mix and spit the audio between each mic.

The last step in the edit is to hand the mix off to the sound designer in logic.

however no matter how i export the xml file for logic. it always comes in as a surround file again instead of mixed mono files.

it shows up in logic as 6 tracks but all but generally only the top track has a mono mix of all 6 and the rest are blank.

it shows that all 6 are seen as 5.1 surround indicated by the icon.

interestingly if i just import the file directly into logic it comes in as 6 mono files. (the icon for mono showing and all are separate microphones)

Any ideas on how to get fcpx not to export the audio xml as surround? (it seems that it is locked to that on import no matter how i modify after)

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 7:23 PM

9 replies

Mar 24, 2015 10:18 AM in response to torstr

It seems no matter what i do the file which is 6 mono tracks imports as a surround file to fcpx.

If i change it after import to 6 mono tracks and I select the info tab on the inspector it still says surround.

Can anyone from Apple confirm that this is a bug and can be fixed?

It seems this import information overrides project settings etc.. for xml output.

thanks

Mar 26, 2015 4:30 PM in response to torstr

Ok so i order to help anyone who is interested.

The only ironic solution to this problem i found was to use a plugin called xto7 to convert the xml to the old fcp7 format.

i then imported this into premiere pro.

this was then able to export an OMF that when imported into logic 10 that was using the correct 6ch mono setting as separate tracks.

Insane but it works until Apple fixes the incorrect meta data import in FCPX that sets the xml export to the default import that is always surround.

this is the only way i was able to send stems with all the edit points and fades for the sound editor.

If you don't have premiere lying around you maybe able to do it with fcp7 too we just didn't have it in this studio.

Fingers crossed Apple fixes the fcpx xml export.

Multi channel audio not exporting from fcpx xml as mono to logic always comes in a mixed surround

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.