Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Temporary dead pixel in Photoshop CS5

Hello,

I got some strange bug.
There is a white dot appearing on my screen right after I open any file or preferences window.

The dot turn grey if I drag something white under it.

The dot shows itself only when the PS app is active.
Even if I just click on my desktop wallpaper "through" PS making it inactive - the dot disappears.

Activating PS back - returns the dot.

I figured out that it happens when PS switches from integrated to discrete GPU.

Some more strange behavior:
- If I force to use only integrated GPU before starting PS there is no dot

- If I force to use only discrete GPU before starting PS there is no dot

- If I use dual monitor configuration before starting PS there is no dot

- If I unplug second monitor during PS session the dot appears

- If I plug second monitor during PS session the dot doesn't dissapear

- If I reset or delete preferences in PS folder it switches to discrete GPU on launch and there is no dot. But after closing and restarting PS with preferences saved it starts with integrated GPU and switches to discrete on opening file or preferences. And the dot appears.

Tried to ask Adobe Support and Adobe Community. No solution.

Any idea on what's going on and why is it started only now?
No changes to PS preferences or to system were made.
It appeared just during one of PS sessions.

Thanks.

My specs:

Macbook Pro 17 late 2011
2.5 Mhz I7
16 GB RAM
Two drives SSD + HDD

Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5.
Adobe Photoshop CS5 12.0 x64

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Photoshop CS5 12.0 x64

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 3:00 AM

10 replies

Mar 24, 2015 3:22 AM in response to malembenign

Not sure that the Mavericks community is the best place to ask this question. In fact, if you'rre right that it's only in Photoshop that you see it, then I'm not sure any Apple Community is the best place to ask, although I appreciate this wasn't your first point of call.

You may need to provide a screenshot to demonstrate your 'dead pixel'. If it's not obvious, then maybe edit it so that there's a circle around it, or an arrow pointing to it, or something.

Also, just to clarify, does the dead pixel only ever appear on your MacBook Pro's internal screen, or does it also appear sometimes on an external screen? And what happens if you mirror your internal screen (when the dot is there) to an external screen? Finally, what happens if you're only using an external screen?

Mar 24, 2015 3:56 AM in response to Joe Felice

Well I've googled a lot and searched different forums before posting this question. And I've found a lot of different topics about video bugs with dual GPU macbooks.

Screenshots:

1. PS started using integrated GPU, no dot.

http://monosnap.com/image/QSuFnpuwe40UVxbcc4x8u6nXkl0SzW

2. New file, PS switched to discrete GPU, dot appeared.

http://monosnap.com/image/tr1isluy8NwAOJKszlhwkIMCPBs46u

3. Dot turns grey on white.

http://monosnap.com/image/tr1isluy8NwAOJKszlhwkIMCPBs46u

4. Clicking on wallpaper, no dot.

http://monosnap.com/image/XmNFItwURIP6V6LgZhOefLtOCSsy7a

5. Dragging white background on dot and clicking on wallpaper. No dot.

http://monosnap.com/image/mfymayvwRWdQMMDlT5cakk9yICCrw3

It appears only on my internal screen in one exact place.
Connecting second monitor switches to discrete GPU, so PS starts with discrete GPU and there is no dot.
But if I disconnect second monitor during PS session, the GPU doesn't switch from discrete to integrated (at least I don't see that), but the dot instantly appears.

I can't find any other program that switches GPUs during session, so I can't check is it only PS bug or a Mac OS X bug, driver bug or hardware dying.

Mar 24, 2015 10:38 AM in response to malembenign

I have exactly the same problem although I don't use PS. I haven't figured out for sure when it appears and when it doesn't. Prior to today it only appeared on my laptop's screen but today it's happening on one of my external monitors. It's not a big deal, just kind of annoying. I never noticed it on my 2011 15" MacBook Pro. I just switched to a 2015 13" Macbook Pro and now I'm noticing it.

Mar 24, 2015 3:16 PM in response to malembenign

Okay, had a good look and I can see why it'd be a little annoying. I had a PowerBook once that had a dead pixel, but of course one dead pixel doesn't trigger a warranty claim. There's some sort of formula that screen manufacturers use to determine how many dead pixels are required before they consider it a 'fault', although in this case we're not really talking about a dead pixel on the screen itself - it's likely the result of the GPU's processing.

Another question, when did this start? I note you're running a 2011 model MacBook Pro, so am wondering whether you've changed anything in the way you work (new/updated software, new hardware, etc).

Thebluck

Just wondering, for you when it appears is it always there regardless of whether you're in the Finder or other apps? And when does it go away (i.e. randomly, after a restart, etc). Also, does it appear in roughly the same spot as malembenign's machine (although this will depend on screen resolution)?

Malembenign

I'm afraid I think you're going to have to live with it. Maybe change your desktop image to camouflage it somewhat. Another thing you could do is use a trial version of the latest Photoshop and see if the same behaviour occurs?

Regardless, I do think you should report it to Apple (maybe make a genius bar appointment so you can show it to them) - but I wouldn't be highlighting that for you it only happens when running Photoshop, and I wouldn't be saying it's a dead pixel, just that it presents in the same way as a dead pixel (a dead pixel is dead, and it would never work no matter what you did).

If enough people report it, then Apple is more likely to take some action. Best case scenario (although unlikely) is that some future Firmware update addresses it, but more likely steps are taken that GPUs used in newer machines don't have the problem (assuming they identify what's causing it).

Mar 25, 2015 3:34 AM in response to Joe Felice

Well, after all I want ot find out what is the root of this bug. Is it a software bug or a hardware malfunction.
It doesn't seem like a hardware malfunction to me, because the dot appears in one exact place.
If it would be some sort of VRAM problem - then it would be in different place each time, because there is a random information allocation in VRAM each time it loads into.

So it looks like a software or driver bug.
The problem is localized and here it is:

- PS CS5 in current situation doesn't switch to discrete GPU during launch

- If something switches graphics to discrete GPU when PS CS5 is already running - the dot appears in one exact place only when PS interface is active.

It could be new file creation, file open, going to PS preferences, or it could be other application that switches GPUs, or manually through deactivating energy saving options in system preferences, or manually through gfxCardStatus application or any other way to switch GPUs when PS CS5 is opened and hasn't switched GPUs during its launch.

Is that's a normal behavior for PS CS5 - not to switch GPUs on launch - I don't know.
I know that if reset preferences on launch or delete it manually - first run of PS CS5 is with GPUs switch during launch. After closing it and opening it next time - it doesn't switch GPUs during launch no more.

So the questions is what is broken now. If PS always before switched GPUs after launch - then it could be some sort of driver or hardware problem.
If the behavior of PS changed somehow and before current situation it switched GPUs always on launch - then it's a PS problem.
Or maybe some sort of other problem, that I don't see yet.

I haven't found any other program, that switch GPUs after launch, so I can't test it.

If you know any - please tell me.

If anyone of you use any versions of PS on dual GPUs macs - please tell me if your PS switches on launch, or after. You can use gxfCardStatus for that kind of check.

Well I'm going to make a clean install of OS and reinstall PS if there will be no other answer.
I'll share the results.

I've already tried to install Mavericks and Updates over current installed OS, reset NVRAM and SMC - no result.

Temporary dead pixel in Photoshop CS5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.