Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pictures lost for ever?

So, my sis has an iPhone 5s and a Windows PC.

Today she wanted to move all her photos from her iPhone to her PC.

As usual she opened up a window with her iPhone, and a window to copy the pictures to.

She selected all the files and moved them... as usual.

After the transfer, she discovered she could not view the pictures, and called me for assistance.

I noticed all the files where AAE-files, and figured this was just an Apple picture format.

Tried opening the files in different viewers but no... I came here and read that .aae is a side-file for the .jpg files, and realy just an .xml file...

Why are these .aae suddenly the ONLY files showing when browsing the iPhone in Windows?

Where are all the .jpg's?

Since her phone was not synced/backed up for a long time, I guess all her pictures are lost forever...?

I have now set up Dropbox and iCloud for future backup, but why did Apple change this all of a sudden?

I guess this will be an issue for many unexperienced users for the coming future...

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 5:31 AM

1 reply

Mar 26, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Troels83dk

Hello Troels83dk,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I see that you're not seeing the actual photos to import from the iPhone on your Windows PC. I'd like you to ensure that you're importing the photos correctly by following the directions in the article below.

Import media to a Windows PC

Before importing your media:

Windows 8: Learn how to import photos and videos from a camera, phone, or DVD (Windows Help)
Windows 7 and Windows Vista: Learn how to get pictures from your camera to your computer (Windows Help)

If your computer doesn't recognize an attached iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch as a camera, and prevents you from importing photos to your computer, learn how to resolve the issue.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Pictures lost for ever?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.