Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes issues (2)

I'm having two issues with latest iTunes download for my iPod. First, when I try to "Buy" a song, the word "buy" does not appear on the far right, Instead it

reads the price in the box (ie: 0.99) and a down arrow box to the right. If I click that down arrow, it lists 6 choses starting with "Gift this song". I admit it's been awhile since I used iTunes, but the previous version of iTunes had a "Buy" box you could check. Then it would ask one more time if you wanted to buy and it accepted a method of payment (in this case a credit card). This time I could not find the word "buy" anywhere. Yet, I must have purchased it when I clicked the music, because I now have a receipt for that song. Which brings me to the second issue. I can't download that new music to my iPod. I went to Sync, clicked, but nothing happened. The song I purchased is listed in my Playlist, but is not on my iPod. I tried to follow the latest Nano iPod instructions on how to download, but the instructions do not help me. I also tried the latest on screen instructions under "Settings" and "my device", but I can't transfer the playlist song to my iPod. The "Purchased" setting does not show the song I just purchased the other day. Any idea on what I'm not doing right here?

JRP

iPod nano, iOS 4

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 2:32 PM

To buy a song you click on the song's price button, not the downward pointing arrow next to it.

For the song that you've bought, it show in the Music part of your library and plays ok there (e.g. its not that there is a problem with the track itself that is stopping it syncing to your iPod) ?

You should be able to sync your music to your iPod by connecting it to your computer and selecting its icon in your computer's iTunes, and on the left-hand side selecting Music e.g. (this is for an iPad, but the principle is similar)

User uploaded file

And on the right-hand side you have the purchased playlist selected to sync to the iPod ?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2015 2:32 PM in response to HOscale

To buy a song you click on the song's price button, not the downward pointing arrow next to it.

For the song that you've bought, it show in the Music part of your library and plays ok there (e.g. its not that there is a problem with the track itself that is stopping it syncing to your iPod) ?

You should be able to sync your music to your iPod by connecting it to your computer and selecting its icon in your computer's iTunes, and on the left-hand side selecting Music e.g. (this is for an iPad, but the principle is similar)

User uploaded file

And on the right-hand side you have the purchased playlist selected to sync to the iPod ?

Mar 24, 2015 9:30 PM in response to King_Penguin

King - Not working. Hard to explain in words but I'm not seeing what you say I should be seeing. Under Playlists I can't find or click Sync...it's not on that page. Both songs I wanted however are checked in the box in Playlist, but they won't download. If I click "my ipod" on the left, the playlist page is gone unless I connect to it again. Then my ipod settings are now shown. I just got billed for a song that did not download. It does not show on my "purchased" list and is not on my ipod. Before when I used iTunes, I could see the song being downloaded to my playlist and then all I had to do was click sync and it was downloaded to my iPod. And yes, My ipod is connected to my computer and "my ipod" shows up on iTunes. I'm paying for a song on iTunes but not on my ipod.

Mar 25, 2015 12:46 AM in response to HOscale

The song shows on your account's purchase history : See your purchase history in the iTunes Store - Apple Support ?

What exactly do you see on your iTunes screen ? Your playlists will show in more than one place in iTunes e.g. in the Music part of your library (where you can create new playlists, add or remove tracks from them, delete them, or play them), and when a device is connected and you've selected it they will show on its Music tab for selecting and syncing to it - so what you will see will depend upon which place you are viewing your playlists.

This is from the current version of iTunes, I've selected my device's icon towards the top left next to the content type icons, and then on the left-hand column selected Music - the right-hand side of the screen then lets me select playlists, artists or albums to sync to the device :

User uploaded file

Are you seeing anything like that ? There should be a Sync or Apply button at the bottom right of the screen (if you change the selected playlists or artists/albums on that screen it should be Apply ; if you haven't changed them it will be Sync).

Mar 25, 2015 10:05 PM in response to King_Penguin

On my iTunes screen when I click Music, the entire list of songs I have on iTunes and on my iPod appears to the right, but it does not show the box above "Sync Music" or "Playlists" below it. We have different boxes for some reason.

I also checked Diagnostics and found out that my iPod is not "found". That part of the test failed (all others passed).

Even though I show the 2 songs I purchased on iTunes and on my iPod, they are not synced to my iPod and therefore

are not showing up in the latest "Purchased" list under my iPod screen. I can only play the songs on iTunes, but not on my iPod.

Mar 26, 2015 12:48 AM in response to HOscale

That sounds like you're using an older version of iTunes, I'm using the current version, iTunes 12.

If you are running the previous version of iTunes then you can enable the left-hand sidebar (which allows you to view your library, connected device(s), store) via option-command-S on a Mac, control-S on a PC. When connected the iPod should show on that sidebar - select it, and across the right-hand side of the screen should be a series of tabs. Select the Music tab and you should then see something that looks like the right half of the image in my last post, with a Sync or Apply button (Sync if no changes are made on the screen e.g. just to resync the current selection, Apply if you make changes).

Mar 26, 2015 8:57 PM in response to King_Penguin

No, as I mentioned on my first message, I just downloaded the latest (2015) version of iTunes over the weekend and did away with the previous version. I'll keep playing with this because iTunes (Apple) could not help me and kept referring me to the standard "Nano" instructions which are not doing me any good with the new version. I read these same instructions 5 years ago when I bought my iPod. I don't think it's been updated. Thanks though for the effort Penquin.

Long live the Queen!!

Mar 26, 2015 9:19 PM in response to HOscale

OK, hold on, I finally got the screen with Sync Music, etc. However, when I click sync music, I get a box asking me if I really want to "remove existing music, etc from this iPod and sync with this tunes library". Does that mean it will erase all the songs I have added over the years and add another library?? I really don't want to erase what I already have, but am wondering if they are referring to what I just bought??

User uploaded file

Mar 26, 2015 11:45 PM in response to HOscale

It's referring to what you currently have on the iPod, when selecting to sync from this computer you are effectively saying 'this is the music that I now want on my iPod, it's to replace what I already have on it'.

If you don't have the rest of your music (that is already on the iPod) in that computer's iTunes library, then Instead of syncing you could drag-and-drop the music onto the iPod. Select the Music part of your iTunes library, and then Playlists e.g.

User uploaded file

And you should get a column on the left-hand side of the screen listing your library, your iPod (if it's connected) and your playlists. You should be able to select a playlist on that list and click-and-drag it up to the iPod device, and dropping it onto it should copy the playlist onto it

User uploaded file

Or from the My Music part of your library where all your songs are listed in your iTunes library, you can click-and-drag a song (or songs) from there over to the left-hand side of the iTunes screen and a sidebar should then appear allowing you to drop it onto your iPod.

Mar 27, 2015 10:59 PM in response to HOscale

If they were purchased from iTunes then you might (if they are still in the store and you haven't moved countries since buying them) be able to redownload them on your computer's iTunes - either click on the Purchased link under Quick Links on the right-hand side of the iTunes stop homepage, or click on your name towards the top right of iTunes and the click Purchased on the popup :

User uploaded file

Or if you have them on a backup drive you can add them to that iTunes library via the File > Add To Library in iTunes, or if you have them on different computer you can copy them from that : How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support or iTunes for Windows: How to copy purchases between computers - Apple Support

iTunes issues (2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.