Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't reposition/change Face Color of "Four Corners" Titles

Hello,

This is an odd one. I am trying to use the Four Corners Title but it is acting wonky. When I try to change the Face Color, it either will not change it at all or change to something completely different (usually a black or dark color, but not anything close to what I want. Also, when I try to reposition the text, it will not move. Color Changing and Repositioning on other titles is fine. Strange.

Thoughts?

Am running FCP X 10.1.4, OS X 10.9.5.

Thanks.

John

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 9:00 AM

13 replies

Mar 24, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Russ H

Hey Russ,

Thanks for the reply. I do not have Motion, but after a little more noodling I discovered that you can reposition and color text ONLY if you select "Bottom Left" from the Location drop down menu in the Published Parameters under Title. This means you cannot reposition or color the other three Locations. Is that the same for you? In a way, I'm glad you are seeing the same thing, since it probably means it is not a glitch in my system. I was, at one time able to reposition and color all Locations in February when I sent a rough cut to a client. Not sure what may have happened between now and then. Could it be an upgrade issue?

J

Mar 24, 2015 2:36 PM in response to jrc362

Sorry, but not following you on this on this work around.

BTW, I can also change the color if I use the CC in the Video pane. You could also change location in this pane in the Transform section.

But clicking lower, upper, etc still doesn't let me pick the color I want.

I hadn't really focused on repositioning – was focused on getting the text face the correct color.

Russ

Mar 24, 2015 3:00 PM in response to Russ H

Hey Russ,

Below are the settings that I used in Four Corners that allowed me to change color and reposition. As you can see, in the "Location" menu I have "Bottom Left" selected. If I choose any of the other three (Bottom Right, Upper Right, Upper Left) the color change goes wonky and I cannot reposition (which I want to do.) I've tried the Transform section but it doesn't get me what I want. I need to reposition the text so it doesn't get cut off in the frame. I could resize the text but then, it makes it too small.

User uploaded file

Mar 24, 2015 4:57 PM in response to jrc362

I added the positional overrides L1 Offset and L2 Offset (X & Y). These let you adjust the "ending positions" of the text on the screen (literally anywhere you like). They can be keyframed (see animated gif below). I also added a Fade In/Fade Out on the texts (only for the Build In / Build Out durations.) The reason being that if you move the texts towards the edges of the viewer, they will start already in view. The fade in/outs make that a little less noticeable. Otherwise, it is exactly the same effect as the original.

User uploaded file

tightened "line-spacing" and animated slight drifts:

User uploaded file

You can download the altered Title here.

HTH

Mar 24, 2015 5:03 PM in response to fox_m

Hey fox-m,

Thanks for the tip on checking the Face Color box. I missed it. Assumed I could select Face in the Text section and that would do it. It works that way on seemingly all the other titles. Anyway Thanks. As for repositioning, I actually CAN drag the text around but only if Bottom Left is selected. I could send you a video but the "Insert Video" button in the reply toolbar is greyed out. Any suggestions on that?

Mar 24, 2015 5:35 PM in response to jrc362

I'm not sure anyone can "insert video" here. I've dug around for info on the privilege and I can't find any. Some of the features on the Apple Discussion Groups are available only to users at higher "Levels". Insert video is not available to me either, so I'd be interested in knowing if anyone does have access to it. Otherwise, maybe Apple just disabled it in general.

If you have a youtube account, you can upload there and set the video to unlisted. Then just post the link here.

Mar 24, 2015 8:32 PM in response to fox_m

fox_m wrote:

I'm not sure anyone can "insert video" here. I've dug around for info on the privilege and I can't find any. Some of the features on the Apple Discussion Groups are available only to users at higher "Levels". Insert video is not available to me either, so I'd be interested in knowing if anyone does have access to it. Otherwise, maybe Apple just disabled it in general.

I don't have it functioning either. My initial feeling is No.

I have asked in the "upper rooms" if anyone has access.

Will post back with the response.

Al

Mar 26, 2015 10:22 AM in response to fox_m

Hey fox_m,

Sorry to be MIA. Got caught up in work. Thanks for the workaround! Will give it a try ASAP. Video of Four Corners using Bottom Left selection is here, PASSWORD: FCPX. As you can see I can freely ove around text if I select Bottom left. Can't do it if I make any other positioning selection. So strange. Any other thoughts?

Thanks again,

John

Mar 26, 2015 1:15 PM in response to jrc362

From the original template, it's fairly clear that the first/original arrangement for the text is the Bottom Left. The other three seem to have been "recreated" with Rig Snapshots. That would have to be the explanation: the original layout is editable in FCPX, but the Snapshots are very specific overrides and their animations are locked.

I used the Custom parameter behavior to create positional overrides. One of the very cool things about Custom is that the parameter changes are "Additive" and not restricted by any other parameter linking or rigging that might be in place to control a parameter.

Can't reposition/change Face Color of "Four Corners" Titles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.