Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hello my apple tv is just displaying apple logo on my tv screen and the indication light is continuously blinking

hello my apple tv is just displaying apple logo on my tv screen and the indication light is continuously blinking

AppleTV 2

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 9:06 AM

13 replies

Mar 24, 2015 2:28 PM in response to gatesju

Hi gatesju, I agree with Urban Shocker.

To restore your AppleTV, follow these steps:

1. Unplug the HDMI cable and power cord from your Apple TV.
  2. Open iTunes on your computer.
  3. Connect the Micro-USB cable to the back of your Apple TV and to a USB port on your computer. (For owners of an Apple TV 3, also reconnect the power cord).
  4. Click Restore Apple TV from the Apple TV summary page. This step can take quite a while, so be patient. (Also, you need to be connected to the internet for this step to work).
  5. After the Restore is over and the Apple TV icon disappears from iTunes, disconnect from your computer and set up your Apple TV as per normal (i.e. connected to a TV etc).

NOTE: You may want to keep a regular eye on the Restore process. It's never happened to me, but there are reports that if left connected to your computer, an Apple TV can go through the entire Restore process again (i.e. the icon reappears and Step 4 starts again).

Hope this helps.

Joe.

Mar 24, 2015 3:28 PM in response to gatesju

Hi gatesju, Alley Cat is right about the micoUSB cable. Hopefully you have one laying around somewhere (they're commonly used with cameras, some Android devices, etc).

As for your question, to get the Restore option you need to be on the "Summary" page for your Apple TV. To see this option you have to select your Apple TV first. How to do this sort of depends on what version of iTunes you're running. But if you're used to connecting an iPod or iPhone or iPad, just think of it in the same way except that it's an Apple TV you're connecting.

If you get stuck, take a screenshot of iTunes with your AppleTV connected and post it here. To take a screenshot, use one of the following options:

• Command-Shift-3 takes the entire screen
  • Command-Shift-4 takes a portion of the screen. (This one allows you to move the mouse pointer to a specific location on your screen and then by clicking and dragging the mouse it will take a screenshot of the selected area).

Either way, make sure you're capturing all of iTunes. The screenshot should appear on your desktop.

Mar 27, 2015 8:02 PM in response to Joe Felice

User uploaded file
I've been having the same problems as Joe. Apple TV blinking, just displaying an apple image on the TV screen. My ITunes is on a PC and doesn't have any of the same interface as shown on the Apple 'help' pages for re-updating Apple TV. This is with Apple TV connected by micro usb with power on. Attached is a screen capture of my ITunes home page. Apple TV needs at least one manual interface.

Mar 28, 2015 5:27 AM in response to Joe Felice

I was not able to take a snap shot. Nor was I ever able to see the Apple TV icon or page on my iTunes. However, I took my Apple TV to the Apple Store in the mall and they restored my Apple TV at no charge so I am all set. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I still plan to figure out why I do not show an Apple TV icon or page on my iTunes. My son-in-law is tech knowledgeable. He can help me. Again thank you very much for your time.

Mar 29, 2015 3:27 AM in response to bob.currie

Hi bob.currie, I'm actually not the one with the problem, just trying to help. 🙂

So, in your case, when you took that screenshot was your Apple TV connected to your PC?

If not, can you open iTunes on the PC first and then connect your Apple TV to your PC using a Micro-USB cable (note that if you have an Apple TV3 you also need to plug it into power as well). Once it's all connected, take another screenshot and I can help you.

Mar 29, 2015 3:31 AM in response to bob.currie

If your Apple TV fails to restore through iTunes……..

• Check that you have correctly followed the instructions for your model of Apple TV.
  • If not already, try using a powered USB port.
  • Repeat the process but this time try connecting the cable while iTunes is closed.
  • Repeat the process with another cable.
  • Try restoring the Apple TV on another computer in another location.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.