Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not connect printer or television to TC in wifi

Hi,

I've just bought a TC 2To, I've set up a new wifi network and it works fine with my macbook ipad and iphone.

But...I can not connect any other device, they don't "see" the wifi network.

It happens with my television (Philips 7108), my printer (epson epson stylus SX420W) and my AV receiver (Marantz SR6009).

Can anybody help ? Any advice?

Thanks !

Lionel

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 10:38 AM

I can not connect any other device, they don't "see" the wifi network.

Can you clarify whether devices cannot "see" the network at all.......or.......devices can "see" the network, but not connect?

In either case, Apple tends to suggest silly names (that break general networking rules) for a network when you first set up a device, so for example if your Time Capsule is providing a wireless network with a name like......

Lionel's Big Red Apple Wireless Network

Other Apple devices will likely be able to connect, but devices from other manufacturer's won't.

A good wireless network name is short, simple, and uses only normal letters and numbers with no blank spaces (and no special characters like an apostrophe, dollar sign, exclamation point, etc). So for a example a network name like

LionelWireless

Will be a lot more compatible with a lot more devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2015 10:38 AM in response to cdxleeo

I can not connect any other device, they don't "see" the wifi network.

Can you clarify whether devices cannot "see" the network at all.......or.......devices can "see" the network, but not connect?

In either case, Apple tends to suggest silly names (that break general networking rules) for a network when you first set up a device, so for example if your Time Capsule is providing a wireless network with a name like......

Lionel's Big Red Apple Wireless Network

Other Apple devices will likely be able to connect, but devices from other manufacturer's won't.

A good wireless network name is short, simple, and uses only normal letters and numbers with no blank spaces (and no special characters like an apostrophe, dollar sign, exclamation point, etc). So for a example a network name like

LionelWireless

Will be a lot more compatible with a lot more devices.

Mar 25, 2015 1:07 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your prompt reply. It helped a lot, I'm progressing but still have some issues.

Let me summarize what I did following your feedback:

1) Indeed my network name was too long and complicated, I renamed it "CapsuleLS" and I managed to connect my TV to the wifi, awesome !

2) However, my printer is still not able to find the "CapsuleLS", but a new network has been created in parallel, and the printer can find it: It's called Apple Network 3178b5. I have no idea where it is coming from. It's a non secured network...

3) My Marantz still can not see the CapsuleLS network. I re connected it in Ethernet, and Airplay is not working anymore.

4) Last point, maybe a detail, maybe not : when I renamed the network the airplay utility app informed me about 2 warnings :

- I should put my TC in bridge mode

- the fact I can configure the network over the WAN is non secured (that's what I did the first time and I did not have this kind of message).

I simply did what it suggested to do...

I think I'm lost. Hope you'll have some leads.

Thanks,

Lionel

Mar 25, 2015 4:51 AM in response to cdxleeo

2) However, my printer is still not able to find the "CapsuleLS", but a new network has been created in parallel, and the printer can find it: It's called Apple Network 3178b5. I have no idea where it is coming from. It's a non secured network...

You do not mention the make or model number of the printer. If you could do this, it is possible that another user who has the same printer will see your post and be able to help.

Otherwise, the printer needs to be reset back to its original factory default settings so that it will have a chance to pick up your network. Apple Network 3178b5 is a signal coming from another Apple router near you that has not yet been set up by its owner. You should pay no attention to this network.

3) My Marantz still can not see the CapsuleLS network. I re connected it in Ethernet, and Airplay is not working anymore.

Sorry, but I am not familiar with the Marantz product, but if you could provide the model number, another user might be able to help. You know that devices can connect to your network since you got the TV working. Like the printer, you might need to reset the Marantz back to its original settings. It might also be a good idea to contact Marantz support.

4) Last point, maybe a detail, maybe not : when I renamed the network the airplay utility app informed me about 2 warnings :

- I should put my TC in bridge mode

- the fact I can configure the network over the WAN is non secured (that's what I did the first time and I did not have this kind of message).

AirPort Utility has detected that you have another router on the network. That being the case, the Time Capsule should be configured in Bridge Mode to work correctly on the network.

I would not worry about the message about the WAN port.

Can not connect printer or television to TC in wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.