Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there any plans to allow MacBook Pro to operate in clamshell mode without having the power adapter attached?

I have had my MacBook Pro for a few days now, and I love it. Easily one of the best engineered pieces of hardware I have ever used. However, one feature that annoys me is that the computer cannot have the lid closed while attached to a tv or monitor without going to sleep unless the power cord is attached.

When I first contacted Apple Care about some questions about this Mac, as I had never used one before, they emphasized how important it was to maintain good battery health, and not over charge the computer or leave it plugged into a wall all day long. I want to avoid doing this, but at the moment I cannot find a way to operate the Mac without having it plugged in to the wall so that I can use it comfortably with my television.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 10:45 AM

1 reply

Mar 27, 2015 6:10 AM in response to supernova6

Hi supernova6,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you are looking for ways to use your Mac in closed-clamshell mode without having it connected to power. Having your Mac notebook connected to power is a requirement for closed-clamshell mode.

How to use your Mac notebook computer in closed-clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display - Apple Support

I can also understand wanting to make sure you maintain good battery health on your Mac. For tips on maximizing performance and information on how battery life is consumed on your Mac, I would suggest reading over the attached two links as well.

Apple - Batteries - Why Lithium-ion?

Apple - Batteries - Maximizing Performance

Best regards,

Joe

Are there any plans to allow MacBook Pro to operate in clamshell mode without having the power adapter attached?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.