Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you clean a wireless Keyboard?

I have a wireless Keyboard for my iMac and would like to know the best way to clean it. It is turning very dark and I would like it to be white again.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2.3GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 11:59 AM

10 replies

Mar 25, 2015 3:55 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Do not use these so called "magic erasers " on electronic or computer equipment, they will permanently damage the surface of plastic and painted surfaces.

These erasers contain an abrasive powder to scratch the away the surface of anything it is used on. Would you use sandpaper to clean your keyboard, it is the same result. Do the correct thing and use window cleaner solution.

Mar 25, 2015 8:37 AM in response to AlaskaDerringer

For a keyboard that has gotten this dirty it will take some fairly aggressive action to get it clean. You might need to be prepared to replace the keyboard if you get too aggressive. I too have used window cleaner like Windex and other cleaners like 409 on my hard wired keyboard, but as mentioned you CAN NOT let it run down into the keyboard. If some liquid does get in the keyboard, even if it does't destroy the function could gum things up as it will likely carry some of the dirt and grime with it. I am a plastics engineer. None of these cleaners will harm the keys. Perhaps hold the keyboard upside down and slowly wipe with a sponge or cloth somewhat saturated with the cleaner. This should keep liquid from accidentally getting into the innards of the keyboard. It may take several cleanings like this to get it truly clean..

Mar 25, 2015 2:03 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Gary Scotland wrote:

Do not use these so called "magic erasers " on electronic or computer equipment, they will permanently damage the surface of plastic and painted surfaces.

These erasers contain an abrasive powder to scratch the away the surface of anything it is used on. Would you use sandpaper to clean your keyboard, it is the same result. Do the correct thing and use window cleaner solution.

Only if the item is so dirty/filty that you have to scrub it to death. Was using Mr Clean erasers on my G5 iMac keyboard for years. I used them once a week, so my keyboard was never filthy. Then I discovered keyboard covers, problem solved!!!!!! 🙂

Mar 31, 2015 11:40 AM in response to AlaskaDerringer

This is how I clean my wired keyboard:

Isopropyl alcohol

Q-tips (As q-tips get dirty, use clean q-tips)

Cotton rag (old cotton t-shirts.)

Step One - Turn the wireless keyboard off, or disconnect a wired keyboard.

Step Two - Wet Q-tip in alcohol, then use the q-tip one key at a time, and then I wipe with cotton rag. Then I use alcohol and q-tip to clean non-key areas. Clean small areas at a time.

Turn keyboard over and clean bottom of case with rag dipped in alcohol. Again, a small section at a time.

Step Three - Allow time for everything to dry. I allow an hour or two to dry completely. There may have been a little bit of alcohol that has fallen through the top of the keyboard. This wait time is to allow any material that has fallen through the cracks to evaporate.

It takes me up to an hour to clean my keyboard. Just before I disconnect my keyboard, turn my iMac and MacBook off. With a water-dampened cotton rag (different from the one I use to clean the keyboard), I clean the monitor.

Step Four - turn the keyboard back on, or coonnect the wired keyboard.

Btw, drinking beverages while at the computer is on is a big no-no. A small spill will fry your keyboard!

I have been cleaning my keyboards this way since 1990.

Sep 29, 2015 4:32 PM in response to AlaskaDerringer

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or other similar brand). Wet the end ever so slightly and then use a gentle circular motion over your entire keyboard. Reverse the circular motion for a few seconds, wipe to perfection with a paper towel. This method works and takes less than a minute. It's like, well, magic!

The eraser contains no cleaners that will leave a residue.

Support staff: Please don't remove my comment, it's in the same vein as all the other responses. I don't know why you are singling out my comment as inappropriate.

How do you clean a wireless Keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.