Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get pages to recognise an abbreviated word.

Hi. How can I get Pages to recognize an abbreviated word on my ipad when typing text. Thanks.

iPad Air 2 WiFi, Cellular, iOS 8.2, Retina Display, 32GB, Version 4

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 12:38 PM

4 replies

Mar 25, 2015 2:35 PM in response to t quinn

Hi Quinn,

Thanks for reply. I think I probably worded the question incorrectly. My wife has asked me to find out for her, she's writing crochet patterns and lots of words are in an abbreviated form. Such as tr for (Treble) ch for (Chain) any many more. She tells me that in "word" she just needs to right click on the abbreviation and then click add to dictionary. I cannot find out how to do this on the i pad using Pages (Wish I'd never bought her it) She doesn't want to turn off spell check. Hoping someone help.

Mar 25, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Keith Kilgour

Hi Keith,

If your wife selects the abbreviation (after dismissing the suggestion), She should see a menutaht offers cut/paste... the arrow will take her to "define". Tapping this will offer any definitions present in the dictionaries and on my machine (running iOS 7.1.2) this adds it to a dictionary so I am not offered suggestions. She will have ot poke around to see if it will work for her.

quinn

How to get pages to recognise an abbreviated word.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.