Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9.6.1 is not displaying the photos in my iPhoto library.

My computer: I'm running Yosemite 10.10.2 (14C1514) on an iMac (21.5 inch, Late 2009) with a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Memory is indicated as: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

The problem: Yesterday, I installed an update of iPhoto from the App Stere. My new version is 9.6.1. I opened iPhoto today, and it said that my iPhoto library needed to be updated and that permissions needed to be repaired. Then iPhoto opened to a start screen with a graphic that says "To get started with iPhoto, do any of the following: Connect a camera or memory card, drag photos into iPhoto, and choose File>Import to iPhoto library.

My photos are not showing up.

I went to File>Switch to Library... which brings up a dialogue: Which photo library do you want iPhoto to use? The default indicated is the location of my existing iPhoto library. Nevertheless, iPhoto isn't displaying any of my photos.

I should note that the hard drive on which I keep my iPhoto library is working really hard. So maybe the updating and permissions repair is still happening? A look at the hard drive's finder window indicates that it was last updated at 1:36 PM today. It's now 2:02. Can repairs and updating be still going on?

I'll wait it out, but in the meantime, if anyone can advise another course of action, I'd appreciate it.

Beedubya

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 11:10 AM

7 replies

Mar 24, 2015 12:40 PM in response to Beedubyayardee

Download iPhoto Library Managerand use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Mar 24, 2015 3:36 PM in response to Yer_Man

No soap. It created a new library with no photographs.

The re-built library's file size on the finder is showing as 7.6 MB.

The original library is still where it was, and the finder indicates its size is 119.73 GB.

However, a JPEG search of the old library indicates photos large and small arranged in folders called "Old": Old Previews, Old Thumbnails.

I fear this only happened because of the Update to iPhoto 9.6.1. Prior to that installation, everything was fine.

iPhoto 9.6.1 is not displaying the photos in my iPhoto library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.