Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina - power cord keeps falling out of machine

Just purchased this MacBookPro 2 days ago and the mag safe power cord keeps falling out of the computer! Very frustrating! Any fixes for this?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 12:23 PM

13 replies

Sep 1, 2017 2:54 PM in response to Res_Q

Yeah, it's like Ford saying "We believe fire is a feature of the Pinto...get those hotdogs ready".

This cord thing is frustrating and worry about the life of my battery since I've had the computer for about a week now and it has popped off so many times now...I'm here.

What affect will this have on my battery, if I end up unplugging and plugging in my cord...lets say 10 times a day...for lets say a year? even if it's a second (which is usually the case). This is absolutely a design flaw. It's a "feature" that negatively affects a major component (battery). And please, don't tell me that 1,000 unnecessary unplug/plug ins will not negatively effect my battery over two years....and I'm being generous with a low number like 1,000.

Oct 3, 2017 2:56 PM in response to toby236

The original design featured a cord with a lot more plasticizer in the plastic, which was much more flexible. In reducing the wonky chemicals in the cord, the cord has become much stiffer, and this is fundamentally what causes the problem.

To have it disconnect less often, the cord must have a somewhat longer straight run across the tabletop into the power inlet. The shorter the cord, the more force you can place on the MagSafe by accident, and the more likely it is to disconnect.

--------

The suggestion that you take it to the store was based on the possibility that the magnet (which is in the computer, not the cord) was too weak compared to what it should be.

Mar 24, 2015 1:28 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for your answer. From what I see on line, there are a lot of people with this problem with new MBP Retina power cords falling out easily. If I want to spend 34 dollars, I can have a new product shipped to me which you insert into the magnetic connector made by a 3rd party. However, I'm wondering if there is a fix for free. A new power chord does not appear to be the fix.

With thanks,

Rolandfromboulder

Mar 24, 2015 1:42 PM in response to rolandfromboulder

rolandfromboulder wrote:

. If I want to spend 34 dollars, I can have a new product shipped to me which you insert into the magnetic connector made by a 3rd party. However, I'm wondering if there is a fix for free. A new power chord does not appear to be the fix.

Personally I would not spent the $34 for some third party device. I am not suggesting a just a new power cord, I'm saying get an an entirely new MBP with a new power cord.

Ciao.

Mar 24, 2015 1:59 PM in response to rolandfromboulder

I do not have one and I have not seen one either. You are in a much better position than I in assessing that aspect. If it is indeed universal, then a new replacement MBP would not be a solution.

Being cheap I would opt to use duct tape. Not pretty but a lot less expensive than $34. 🙂

Given you situation, I would go to a genius bar and discuss this with the technician. They may have something constructive to offer.

Ciao.

Mar 24, 2015 2:07 PM in response to rolandfromboulder

I know my wife lets out a *#@! now and then when she realizes her newer MBP had become disconnected from the MagSafe. It does take considerably less tension to pull it free. For those who have owned an Apple notebook with the previous version of MagSafe, this is a common complaint though I suspect Apple considers it a feature. The original MacBook Pro is considerably heavier than the MacBook Air and retina MBP models. Shortly after buying a 2011 MacBook Air I nearly pulled the computer off the table. Had it been the older MBP the MagSafe would have pulled free. So I suspect Apple intentionally made the new MagSafe easier to pull free. But as Oglethorpe said, you can take it back and should - if nothing else to compare your to the ones at the store.

Mar 24, 2015 2:43 PM in response to dwb

Thank you for your response. Now I get why they did this.

Perhaps this would be like McDonalds making their coffee lukewarm in response to the lady who sued them for it being too hot! Of course they didn't!. There must be a happy medium with the magnetic connection!

Send my commiserations to your wife - I will go to the store and check to see if mine might be particularly anemic.

With thanks,

Rolandfromboulder

MacBook Pro Retina - power cord keeps falling out of machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.