Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applescript Turning list in .txt file into Choose From List

I am working on an applescript that will take a list of names in a .txt file and turn it into a list that the user can choose from in a "Choose from list" box.

While you can put a variable into the list brackets ( ex.: {variable_name, variable_name2}) and then assign a string to each variable, so that variable_name can stand for "2", "3", "4", and that will make 4 separate items in the dialog box. Example:

set variable_name to {"2", "3", "4"}

choose from list variable_name --

It displays 3 items to click in the choose from list box

But when I try:

set variable_name to (read file TextFile.txt)

choose from list variable_name

It displays 1 item to click in the choose from list box.

When I write to the .txt file, I'm using this command:

my WriteLog("\"2\", \"3\"")

on WriteLog(the_text)

set this_story to the_text

set this_file to (((path to desktop folder) as text) & "TextFile.txt")

my write_to_file(this_story, this_file, true)

end WriteLog

on write_to_file(this_data, target_file, append_data) -- (string, file path as string, boolean)

try

set the target_file to the target_file as text

set the open_target_file to ¬

open for access file target_file with write permission

if append_data is false then ¬

set eof of the open_target_file to 0

write this_data to the open_target_file starting at eof

close access the open_target_file

return true

on error

try

close access file target_file

end try

return false

end try

end write_to_file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 1:38 PM

Sure, because when you read the file, you get one single text object containing all the file data.

You need to coerce it into a list that represents the individual items available to select. The easiest way is to ask AppleScript to parse the paragraphs of the text file:

set variable_name to (paragraphs of (readfilemyTextFile))

Now AppleScript will read the file as a single text object, then break it down into a list based on the paragraph delimiters, effectively ending up with one list item per line in the file, which sounds like what you want.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2015 1:38 PM in response to tc8213

Sure, because when you read the file, you get one single text object containing all the file data.

You need to coerce it into a list that represents the individual items available to select. The easiest way is to ask AppleScript to parse the paragraphs of the text file:

set variable_name to (paragraphs of (readfilemyTextFile))

Now AppleScript will read the file as a single text object, then break it down into a list based on the paragraph delimiters, effectively ending up with one list item per line in the file, which sounds like what you want.

Mar 24, 2015 6:58 PM in response to Camelot

That did it! Thank you! I'll just make sure that the names are each on a separate line. Appreciate the quick help!

Now one other question you might be able to help with (if not don't worry):

When I use this line: my WriteLog("Müller"), notice that it has a German umlaut. I have textedit set to open the file with UTF-8 and all. But it sends me this error when I try to look at the text file:

The document “MY STORY” could not be opened. Text encoding Unicode (UTF-8) isn’t applicable. The file may have been saved using a different text encoding, or it may not be a text file.

I thought UTF-8 could handle special characters?

Mar 24, 2015 9:00 PM in response to tc8213

I thought UTF-8 could handle special characters?

UTF-8 can, but it isn't a UTF-8 file, hence the problem.

A quick peek in Terminal.app shows:

$ file ~/Desktop/TextFile.txt

TextFile.txt: Non-ISO extended-ASCII text, with no line terminators

So AppleScript is writing the file as extended ASCII, not UTF-8.

The simplest solution is to have TextEdit.app auto-detect the file type, rather than forcing UTF-8 (I honestly don't understand why the option exists at all in TextEdit preferences...), otherwise you can try writing the UTF-8 BOM to the file to provide a hint, as well as write the data as UTF-8:

write (this_data as «class utf8») to the open_target_filestarting ateof

Applescript Turning list in .txt file into Choose From List

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.