Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs Disappeared in iPod Touch, Still Show Up on iTunes

Hi all,

A little background information: I did not change any settings on the iPod, I manage my music manually and I backup the iPod to iCloud. So, less than 24 hours after installing the iOS 8.2 update on my 5th generation iPod touch all songs, except for purchases, disappeared from the iPod. I can still see them on iTunes when I connect the iPod to my computer. I can also only see the playlists I had on iTunes, but not on the iPod.

My questiosn are: what could have caused this problem? (so I can avoid it in the future) If I backup the iPod to iCloud, is it possible that I can restore the music and playlists from iCloud? (Instead of having to manually add the songs again to the iPod). It says the last backup was yesterday afternoon.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced! 🙂

iPod touch, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 12:48 PM

4 replies

Mar 24, 2015 12:54 PM in response to bemora7

Try restoring. From iTunes would be preferable

For how to restore:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

To restore from backup see:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

If you restore from iCloud backup the apps will be automatically downloaded as will other iTunes/Appl store pruchases like music. Non-Tunes purchases like music from CD are not backed up so are not restored.. If you restore from iTunes backup the apps and music have to be in the iTunes library since synced media like apps and music are not included in the backup of the iOS device that iTunes makes.

You can redownload most iTunes purchases by:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

However, there maybe a bug(s) in iOS 8 and/or iTunes that is causing this problem

Mar 24, 2015 2:22 PM in response to bemora7

I'm having the same issue. But I can't even do a restore backup b/c it won't connect to iCloud so that I can turn off Find My iPod so that I can do the restore backup that is on my computer. Yesterday it was showing all of my music, then I added a song & last night it was showing 158 songs while when I go under my devices & to music it was showing all of my music that is on the iPod.

Mar 24, 2015 2:40 PM in response to HeatherC1979

Hi HeatherC1979,

Why can't you connect to iCloud? Did you setup iCloud when you setup the iPod? Did you forget your password? Is the iPod connected to WiFi for you to verify the iCloud account?

I was trying to "verify" my iCloud account to turn off "Find my iPod" and couldn't "verify" it because the iPod was not connected to WiFi. Once I connected it to WiFi I was able to verify my iCloud password and turn off "Find my iPod". I am currently restoring my iPod 😟.

Mar 24, 2015 2:48 PM in response to HeatherC1979

If you want to restore via iTunes:

Place the iOS device in Recovery Mode and then connect to your computer and restore via iTunes. The iPod will be erased.

iOS: Forgot passcode or device disabled

If recovery mode does not work try DFU mode.

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

For how to restore:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

To restore from backup see:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

If you restore from iCloud backup the apps will be automatically downloaded. If you restore from iTunes backup the apps and music have to be in the iTunes library since synced media like apps and music are not included in the backup of the iOS device that iTunes makes.

You can redownload most iTunes purchases by:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

If problem what happens or does not happen and when in the instructions? When you successfully get the iPod in recovery mode and connect to computer iTunes should say it found an iPod in recovery mode.

HeatherC1979 wrote:

I'm having the same issue. But I can't even do a restore backup b/c it won't connect to iCloud so that I can turn off Find My iPod so that I can do the restore backup that is on my computer. Yesterday it was showing all of my music, then I added a song & last night it was showing 158 songs while when I go under my devices & to music it was showing all of my music that is on the iPod.

Songs Disappeared in iPod Touch, Still Show Up on iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.