Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm having problems upgrading from 10.6.8 to Yosemite. My computer locks up after the download and installation process. Does anyone know how I can overcome this problem?

I'm having problems upgrading from 10.6.8 to Yosemite. My computer locks up after the download and installation process. Does anyone know how I can overcome this problem?

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 1:50 PM

5 replies

Mar 24, 2015 1:53 PM in response to ascrespo

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your Snow Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

Mar 25, 2015 2:05 PM in response to Ralph9430

Yes. My iMac is newer than 2007 and it had Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/). Now I'm in a much worse situation than I started. I had to reload from the boot DVD and now I'm stuck in version 10.6.3. My previous programs (Office suite) no longer show up. I hope I can revert back to Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I'm now running MacKeeper to try an clean everything up, and will try to upgrade again. I hope the MS Office suite I had isn't totally wiped out.

Mar 26, 2015 7:29 PM in response to ascrespo

Thanks for the instructions. I actually managed to restore from Time Machine, and so I now have my computer with version 10.6.8. This should be good enough for upgrading to Yosemite, but it doesn't work. After downloading Yo and going through the installation process, the machine locks up when it tries to re-boot. The first line reads:

devfs_kernel_mount: failed to find director '/dev' , 2panic(cpu 8 caller 8x47f5ad): "Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed. errno 2\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.3/bsd/kern/kern_exec.c:3145

There are additional lines. If anyone knows what this means and what I need to do to overcome it, I would appreciate the help. ac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.