Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8

The instructions ask you to go to the Apple icon and select 'Software Update'. It goes through the downloading process but when I restart the computer it locks up. If anyone has suggestions, please advise.

I'm trying to get to 10.6.8 in order to upgrade to Yosemite so that I can install latest software. Thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 1:56 PM

4 replies

Mar 24, 2015 1:58 PM in response to ascrespo

Sure you can go to Yosemite?

Upgrading to Yosemite

You can upgrade to Yosemite from Lion or directly from Snow Leopard. Yosemite can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for FREE.

Upgrading to Yosemite

To upgrade to Yosemite you must have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or Lion installed. Download Yosemite from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Yosemite is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks/Yosemite- System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Yosemite

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Mar 24, 2015 5:17 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for your reply.

I'm now in version 10.6.3. This requires that I upgrade to Snow Leopard first (10.6.8). The website directs you to click on the applie icon at the upper left of your screen, and then click on 'Software Update'. After I go through this the machine has to reboot, but it locks up, so it doesn't make the upgrade. Now I'm stuck at version 10.6.3.

Let me know if there are any other hints I may be able to try. Thanks.

Mar 26, 2015 7:28 PM in response to ascrespo

Thanks for the instructions. I actually managed to restore from Time Machine, and so I now have my computer with version 10.6.8. This should be good enough for upgrading to Yosemite, but it doesn't work. After downloading Yo and going through the installation process, the machine locks up when it tries to re-boot. The first line reads:

devfs_kernel_mount: failed to find director '/dev' , 2panic(cpu 8 caller 8x47f5ad): "Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed. errno 2\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.3/bsd/kern/kern_exec.c:3145

There are additional lines. If anyone knows what this means and what I need to do to overcome it, I would appreciate the help. ac

Cannot upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.