Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make files in iCloud appear in folders in alphabetical order

I'm working on Yosemite 10.10.2. Files in folders on Desktop are listed in alphabetical order by file name. BUT files in folders in iCloud are listed in random order. How can I get files to be listed in alphabetical order?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 1:58 PM

3 replies

Oct 19, 2017 4:44 AM in response to mary ann from palm coast

There seemed to be a problem with sorting in alphabetical order of files in iCloud.

Actually, after installing High Sierra I could not make the folders to appear in alphabetical order anymore, using the designated button in the Finder. While writing this though, I checked the 'change the item arrangement'-button in the Finder window (the two horizontal stripes with three little blocks under them) to see what its name is, and there is the solution:

If you hover over that button with your mouse, it says: "hold down option to change the sort". And that works! Try it.

John

Mar 27, 2015 9:05 AM in response to mary ann from palm coast

Hello mary ann from palm coast,

I apologize, I'm a bit unclear on exactly how you are accessing your iCloud files. If you are accessing iCloud Drive throught the Finder on your Mac, you should be able to arrange and view the files by sorting by name in List View as you would otherwise. You may find the information and steps outlined in the following article helpful:

Mac Basics: The Finder organizes all of your files - Apple Support

Sincerely,

- Brenden

How can I make files in iCloud appear in folders in alphabetical order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.