Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook with thunderbolt display without power supply stops working on battery mode, is that normal?

I use a 27" Thunderbolt display on my macbook pro. If I disconnect the power supply from the mac, the monitor stops working.

Is that normal or do I have to make some changes on the setup ?

Thanks

+GL

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 12:56 AM

Greetings koningsvaren,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you connect your MacBook Pro to an external Thunderbolt display and everything works as it should while connected to power, but once power is removed from the MacBook Pro, the second display no longer functions. It sounds like you may be using this configuration with your MacBook Pro closed, otherwise known as closed-clamshell mode. In order to use a second display with your Mac portable in closed-clamshell mode, the Mac portable must be connected to power. Please refer to the attached article for more information. If this is not the case, please let me know.

How to use your Mac notebook computer in closed-clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display - Apple Support

Cheers,

Joe

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2015 12:56 AM in response to koningsvaren

Greetings koningsvaren,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you connect your MacBook Pro to an external Thunderbolt display and everything works as it should while connected to power, but once power is removed from the MacBook Pro, the second display no longer functions. It sounds like you may be using this configuration with your MacBook Pro closed, otherwise known as closed-clamshell mode. In order to use a second display with your Mac portable in closed-clamshell mode, the Mac portable must be connected to power. Please refer to the attached article for more information. If this is not the case, please let me know.

How to use your Mac notebook computer in closed-clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display - Apple Support

Cheers,

Joe

My macbook with thunderbolt display without power supply stops working on battery mode, is that normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.