Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac hangs/freezes when "select folder to save" appears during download.

Regardless of if I'm trying to download a file from Firefox, Mail, or my Scanner, the "Select Folder to Save" screen will freeze / hang, also freezing up whatever program from which I was trying to download a file. The only way to get rid of it is to force quit the program I was trying to download a file from. The size or type of the file doesn't make a difference. Any advice on what could be causing this and how to fix it?

I'm using a brand new MacBook pro, running Yosemite (10.10.1) - fresh from the box as of a few weeks ago.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 1:32 PM

1 reply

Mar 27, 2015 8:26 AM in response to trashmail

FIXED

Delete all un-linked aliases

When I was transferring files over to my new computer, something happened where all my files were copied as alias's on the new computer (and had no reference to their original files). Somehow this interacted with the "download" "upload" or "save as" dialog and caused it to freeze (along with the application that opened it). Once I deleted all of those files, everything has been working fine (though, now when I open my trash to view the thrown away aliases the Trash folder freezes just like the dialogue boxes did - more evidence that the un-linked aliases caused the problem).

If you have a similar problem and the above doesn't work for you, I read about a number of other fixes:

• Try rebooting in safe mode - shut down computer, turn it back on, hold down "Shift" when you hear the chime until you see the Apple logo. Let it start up fully, then Restart it normally and see if that fixed anything.
  • Something about disabling some graphics in Energy Saving mode
  • If it's only a problem with your browser, it could be a problem with your network connection (something about "disconnect all network connections that are unreachable).

None of those worked for me and I'm sorry I don't have the links to the sites that recommended that information, but if my solution doesn't help you it could be involve one of the above.

Have a great day! 🙂

Mac hangs/freezes when "select folder to save" appears during download.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.