Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand New Macbook Asking for Password

Going through the rather painful process of migrating and setting up my new mac. I haven't migrated anything yet as my old mac had the 10.10.2 Yosemite and so I needed to update the new mac. So I left it to update, it went to sleep all normal. But now it's asking for a password to log back in? I don't understand as I haven't set anything at all up, I didn't even so much as look at the preferences panel. Bit frustrated by this as I was super excited to get going so all advise will be appreciated!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 2:58 PM

4 replies

Mar 24, 2015 3:29 PM in response to Kappy

The only info it asked for at the first set up was a user name and another name which I can't remember what it was for (could may have well have been a password set up, ha on me). Both names/words I've tried to log in with but nothing. Just tried the terminal and the box comes up but I am unable to type anything in it. I can't select a user account because it says theres 'no available users'. Im a bit stuck in the middle now..

Mar 24, 2015 3:06 PM in response to BeeRai

If you had paid attention during the setup you would have started by creating an admin user account and asked to enter a username and a password. That's the password the computer wants you to enter. If you aren't able to make progress or get to Security & Privacy preferences, then see the following:

Forgot Your Account Password

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

When the menubar appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu.

Enter resetpassword at the prompt and press RETURN. Follow

instructions in the dialog window that will appear.

Or see:

Reset a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Password

OS X Mountain Lion- Reset a login password,

OS X Mavericks- Solve password problems,

OS X Lion- Apple ID can be used to reset your user account password.

Brand New Macbook Asking for Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.