Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have a problem on my IMac that a screen has come up titled text edit and can not get rid of it using OSX I believe 10.7.5

Can not exit text edit screen when i click on the apple does not give me the option of shuting down or restart just can't get rid of it. have no clue what brought this screen up never seen it before.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 2:29 PM

14 replies

Mar 24, 2015 2:55 PM in response to hdway

• Any other symptoms? Beach Ball of Death (Wait cursor)?
  • Can you CMD + TAB switch between open Apps?
  • Have you launched Activity Monitor.App? - choose "All Processes" in the pull-down menu > type textedit in the search box > if TextEdit found, Click the "Stop Sign" button to Quit it

OR

If able to switch to any other App, choose  Menu > Restart...

ÇÇÇ

Mar 24, 2015 3:26 PM in response to hdway

If it is the application, Text Edit is a basic word processing app which is in your Applications folder. In order to force quit, you need to hold down three keys at the same time (there is no drop down/force quit):

Command + Option + esc (at the top left of your keyboard). That will bring up this window:

User uploaded file

If an application is not responding, it may show "not responding" next to its name (or sometimes not). In any case, hit the Force Quit button and it should quit. If that does not work, shut down your Mac and boot it up again.

Mar 24, 2015 4:21 PM in response to babowa

I finally got rid of it thanks very much for the help.

Nothing I tried from the suggestions from everybody seemed to help it would not respond to the force quit methods or other suggestions shutting off the power switch would not even turn it off after three try's I finely unplugged it that shut it down then went thru a normal start up and looks to be ok now.

I clicked the star hope this give you guys points.

Mar 24, 2015 6:10 PM in response to seventy one

Well, I should have read the whole thing, LOL. Anyway, if the Apple > Force Quit is not available, especially while within an application, the key commands have always worked for me. And, I also did not realize right away that the Lion Resume "feature" was to blame as Apple changed the behavior back to a more normal flow with Mountain Lion after getting quite a few bug reports (including mine as it took me more than 5 hours to get my Mac back in working condition after MacKeeper took over my Yahoo Inbox redirecting me to their site in Russia and, with the new Resume, would do so continuously until I yanked the modem, erased the entire drive, and reinstalled from scratch).

Mar 25, 2015 7:51 AM in response to seventy one

They hacked/took over my Yahoo inbox with an immediate redirect to their Russian site and, except for a huge counter telling me I had 8,623 viruses (and counting), the machine was completely unresponsive unless I clicked on the "click here/buy" button. And, because of the Resume "feature", every time I booted back up, the browser automatically loaded that site until I yanked the modem out of the wall. Since that was in the early days of Lion, I believe I was one of their first victims.

Have a problem on my IMac that a screen has come up titled text edit and can not get rid of it using OSX I believe 10.7.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.