Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sound not responsive to keyboard controls

When I play a video clip or you tube video-the sound is barely audible-how do I get my 8.1 MBPro to respond to the keyboard audio controls?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 12:02 PM

Hello gail239,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understand that the volume keys on your keyboard are not changing the volume on your Mac. I'd like you to make sure that the option outlined below is disabled.

If you prefer the top row of keys to always behave as standard function keys without holding the Fn key:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. From the View menu, choose Keyboard.
  3. Click the Keyboard tab if it is not already selected
  4. Enable "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys."

With this option enabled, the top row of keys acts as standard function keys (F1 - F12). To use a feature indicated by the icon printed on a key, hold Fn while pressing the key.

How to change the behavior of function keys on your Mac - Apple Support

Have a great weekend,

Alex H.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2015 12:02 PM in response to gail239

Hello gail239,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understand that the volume keys on your keyboard are not changing the volume on your Mac. I'd like you to make sure that the option outlined below is disabled.

If you prefer the top row of keys to always behave as standard function keys without holding the Fn key:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. From the View menu, choose Keyboard.
  3. Click the Keyboard tab if it is not already selected
  4. Enable "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys."

With this option enabled, the top row of keys acts as standard function keys (F1 - F12). To use a feature indicated by the icon printed on a key, hold Fn while pressing the key.

How to change the behavior of function keys on your Mac - Apple Support

Have a great weekend,

Alex H.

sound not responsive to keyboard controls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.