Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I access my Airport Time Capsule from a remote location?

I have my 2 TB Airport Time Capsule connected to my home wireless network and I have heard it is possible to access my information stored on it from anywhere, but I have no clue how to do this.

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 4:05 PM

Frankly, this is not easy, and not for the faint of heart. Having someone to help who has done this will save you a ton of time and headaches.

Set up and use Back to My Mac - Apple Support

Before you do anything though, Back to My Mac assumes that you have a simple modem......not a modem/router that is often provided by Internet Service Providers to their customers. A modem/router.....also called a gateway.....will not allow Back to My Mac to work correctly, so if you do have a modem/router or gateway device, you will need to speak to your service provider to find out if they can provide you with a simple modem.

A simple modem will look something like this:

User uploaded file

A modem/router or gateway will look something like this:

User uploaded file

Having said this, personally I use another method called Port Mapping to allow my Mac...or an iPhone or iPad connect back to the Time Capsule at home when I am traveling. But, this is even more complicated than Back to My Mac, so BTMM would be the place to start for most users.

If things look intimidating on first pass and you can locate a good tech to set things up for you, that would be money well spent.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2015 4:05 PM in response to Warrren

Frankly, this is not easy, and not for the faint of heart. Having someone to help who has done this will save you a ton of time and headaches.

Set up and use Back to My Mac - Apple Support

Before you do anything though, Back to My Mac assumes that you have a simple modem......not a modem/router that is often provided by Internet Service Providers to their customers. A modem/router.....also called a gateway.....will not allow Back to My Mac to work correctly, so if you do have a modem/router or gateway device, you will need to speak to your service provider to find out if they can provide you with a simple modem.

A simple modem will look something like this:

User uploaded file

A modem/router or gateway will look something like this:

User uploaded file

Having said this, personally I use another method called Port Mapping to allow my Mac...or an iPhone or iPad connect back to the Time Capsule at home when I am traveling. But, this is even more complicated than Back to My Mac, so BTMM would be the place to start for most users.

If things look intimidating on first pass and you can locate a good tech to set things up for you, that would be money well spent.

Mar 24, 2015 6:49 PM in response to Warrren

we can ask the author to fix it..

Do note BTMM really only works when the apple router is the main network router.. otherwise it is much better to do it manually.. using DDNS and port forwarding in whatever is your main router..

Both Bob and I however have solved the DDNS by having a static public IP.. this is hugely superior and to get reliable connections I would strongly recommend it.. the static IP usually means a more expensive ISP business account or a small extra monthly payment.. but still worth it.

I can add another method.. again when you have a need for flexible access and not using just a Mac.. (PC and iOS products cannot use BTMM).. then a cheap vpn modem router or main router is well worth it.. this is the proper business method but is readily accessible to home users now in OpenVPN in dd-wrt and other 3rd party firmware.. well worth a look, as vpn clients are readily available and built into most products.

Mar 27, 2015 8:37 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I saw this on a Dyn support page. Does this mean that even with a global dynamic hostname purchased from DynDNS, I won't be able to remotely access my Airport Extreme Base Station?

"Note: as of version 6.1 of the Airport Utility and 7.6.1 router firmware, the Apple Airport Extreme and Time Capsule routers no longer offer the ability to configure wide-area bonjour. This has effectively caused these Apple routers to no longer support sending updates to Dyn Standard DNS. If you are attempting to set up earlier versions of the Airport Utility and firmware, you can use these instructions, but this is an experimental feature, we cannot provide technical support for this setup. If you need assistance, check out the Dyn Community."

https://help.dyn.com/airport-and-time-capsule-with-dynamic-dns/

Mar 31, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you, Bob, for the reply. I was able to find a solution. I have a 3TB drive attached to my AirPort Extreme set up at home. The base station is set up for bridge mode. I contacted the manufacturer of the router which was installed into my house -- Legrand. I connected my laptop via ethernet to the router and enabled UPNP. That did the trick. Using Back to My Mac, I can now access my data files from outside of my LAN.

How can I access my Airport Time Capsule from a remote location?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.