Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro won't boot up. Can someone help me figure out my data recovery options?

Hi,

My late-2012 model Macbook pro suddenly stopped working on Friday. I tried booting it up, nothing. Tried booting it into safemode, and it shutdown by itself. Finally got it into recovery mode, then disk utility. Tried verifying the disk, said it was damaged. Tried repairing it and that didn't work either.

I have a 2015 Macbook Air and a firewire cable, so I put the Pro into target disk mode and the disk utility on the Air recognizes the disk. So I have that going for me.

When I tried to drag and drop my files, I got an error 36: "The finder can't complete the operation because some data can't be read or written."

I know I'm an idiot for not backing my data up. I'm wondering now what my options are going forward. Do I try a recovery software? Do I try reinstalling the OS on the Pro in recovery mode?

Please advise! Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 6:57 PM

10 replies

Mar 25, 2015 6:51 PM in response to zaifromzai

Do you mean something like this? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITDSN5Y?psc=1

I'm not sure this is going to work, though. When I tried dragging and dropping files it gave me an input/output error: ""The finder can't complete the operation because some data can't be read or written.""

I'm thinking a software might be better. Don't want to unnecessarily damage my hard drive if my disk utility is able to recognize it. I think the main problem is that the file architecture is corrupted.

Macbook pro won't boot up. Can someone help me figure out my data recovery options?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.