Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook a1181 cannot access System Preference or any apps such as Safari, iPhoto, etc. How can I fix this?

Hi, I recently purchased a used MacBook a1181 and cannot access anything. I am new to Apple computers/laptops so I don't know if there is a simple solution or if it's maybe a HD problem? I tried to go into System Preferences and nothing happens. The dock (?) at the bottom also has a bunch of question marks. When I scroll over the question marks, I can see apps like Safari, iPhoto, etc. but I cannot open anything. I also tried to go to About this Mac and can't get anywhere either. Any ideas what could be wrong?

MacBook, A1181

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 6:27 PM

7 replies

Mar 25, 2015 1:31 AM in response to spudnuty

The Order No. is MA472LL/A Original MacBook1,1. It is a 2.0GHz Core Duo with 1GB SDRAM and 80GB HD. I find it by removing the battery.

This is one of the problems I am having. When I go to the Apple and then click on About This Mac, the More Info... option is grayed out so I cannot view the details of the MacBook. When I click on System Preferences, nothing happens so I cannot change settings or users.

When I tried to re-install the OS, the disc would spin and then eject. I tried several different installation CDs and even an external DVD player and each time the CD ejected out without installing. I would appreciate any advise on what I can do to get this MacBook up and running. Thank you!

Mar 25, 2015 9:38 AM in response to risris72

" The dock (?) at the bottom also has a bunch of question marks"

So usually that means that the applications are missing. It's like in a PC where the "Short Cut" link is broken.

"When I scroll over the question marks, I can see apps like Safari, iPhoto, etc. but I cannot open anything."

So just like when shortcuts are broken and for the same reason: applications are moved, renamed etc.

and with this:

"I also tried to go to About this Mac and can't get anywhere either. "

Probably a bad install.

"When I tried to re-install the OS, the disc would spin and then eject. I tried several different installation CDs and even an external DVD player and each time the CD ejected out without installing. "

What disks are you using? The originals would be Tiger and gray, 10.4.8 (Not the retail installer which would be 10.4.0.), Leopard, Snow Leopard. So 10.4.8 to 10.6.8 compatible.

Mar 25, 2015 11:49 AM in response to risris72

Yah the gray machine specific disk for that year would have been 10.4.8.

"I also tried using a new 10.6.8 Snow Leopard disc"

The retail installer for Snow Leopard was white with a picture of a snow leopard w/ snow on his head (Best ever!) and would have been 10.6.0.

"even an external DVD player "

Needs to have the correct chipset to be able to boot from that external. At one point I had like 20 externals from different sources and only 5 of them would boot Macs.

Mar 26, 2015 10:54 AM in response to spudnuty

I was finally able to install Snow Leopard (version 10.6.3). I found a discussion on creating a bootable USB to install OS X http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/apple-in-the-enterprise/how-to-create-a-bootabl e-usb-to-install-os-x/ and that worked! Now I still need to go through all the updates but it looks like everything is working and now I can get into System Preferences, Mac Info, Safari and everything else I couldn't before.

Thank you for your help spudnuty!

macbook a1181 cannot access System Preference or any apps such as Safari, iPhoto, etc. How can I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.