Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook a1181 cannot get past white apple logo screen

Hi, I have a MacBook A1181 that I recently purchased and when powering on, I cannot get past the white apple logo screen. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I tried something I found online to be able to select the drive/partition to start from and there was a drive/partition for Windows XP so I wonder if that is causing the start up problems? I also cannot get into XP. System tells me that I need to register XP when I click OK, it tells me that it is updated but when I select the user I get the same message again so I am going in circles.

How can I fix this? I don't really need XP on the MacBook.

MacBook, A1181

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 6:34 PM

11 replies

Mar 26, 2015 11:09 AM in response to risris72

Thank you! Unfortunately I only have disk 2 of the original installation disks (it was stuck in the dvd drive when I bought the MacBook). I have the retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 disk and will try to install that via USB. I didn't want to insert it into the dvd drive since the previous one got stuck and when I used an external drive, the disk kept ejecting. I found a site to install via USB and this worked on another MacBook I was trying to re-install the OS X http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/apple-in-the-enterprise/how-to-create-a-bootabl e-usb-to-install-os-x/

I am hoping I will be able to install Snow Leopard and it will solve the startup issue I am having. If not, looks like I will need to get a new HD. I will report back what happens when I try this tonight.

Mar 27, 2015 12:18 PM in response to risris72

Okay, looks like I was able to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3 from the USB and everything seemed to work find. I have been installing software updates to make sure everything is up to date so system restarts each time. However now after I think the 3rd or 4th software update, when the system tries to restart to install the updates, I get a blue/gray screen and then it goes to a screen that looks like my desktop background and freezes. I have to manually power off (holding down the power button) and then it starts up normally again.

But then the same things happens again when I check for updates again. The system wants to restart but then freezes so I don't believe it actually installs the updates since it doesn't restart. When I go back to check for software updates, it looks like it's trying to download/install the same updates but then it freezes. I have two MacBook A1181 that I re-installed Snow Leopard. Each had a different reason for re-installing but they are both now freezing after several updates were installed successfully. Any idea how to fix this problem?

Mar 30, 2015 11:42 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I just wanted to provide an update. I ran Disk Utility>First Aid and installed the Snow Leopard combo update but still had the hang up issue after trying to install updates. What I ended up doing was installing the updates one at a time. It took a little while but now I am current on all updates (plus I have 10.6.8 installed thanks to your suggestion to install the combo update). Both macbooks are now working great! Thank you again!

Macbook a1181 cannot get past white apple logo screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.