Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What will happen to the photos on my iPhone 5 if I turn off Camera Roll under Manage Storage/This Phone?

I only have 238 mb of Cloud storage left for my phone. When I checked what is using all of my space, I saw that 4.2GB of space is used by Camera Roll. All of the Camera Roll pictures are in iPhoto on my Mac Book Pro and most are also archived on an external drive. Will they disappear from my phone and/or computer if I uncheck the Camera Roll for back ups? What happens if I do that and turn it back on a week from now?

iPhone 5c, iOS 7, not sure which IOS 7 is on my phone

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 7:03 PM

They will not be erased from your phone, they will only not be included in the iCould backup anymore.

If you take many photos and videos with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you might notice that they take up most of your iCloud storage. To check the size of the backup on your device in iOS 8 or later, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage. (If you're using an earlier version of iOS, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage.) Then tap the name of your iOS device. The backup size is under Photo Library.

To reduce the size of your Photo Library backup, save your photos and videos to your computer, then manually back up your iOS device. If you want to keep your photos and videos on your iOS device, you can turn off Photo Library in Backup using the steps above or purchase more storage. If there are any photos that you don't want to keep, you can delete them. Just open photos and select the item you want to delete. Then click the Trash icon and tap Delete Photo.

copied from:

iCloud: Managing your iCloud storage

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2015 7:03 PM in response to HobieAllan

They will not be erased from your phone, they will only not be included in the iCould backup anymore.

If you take many photos and videos with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you might notice that they take up most of your iCloud storage. To check the size of the backup on your device in iOS 8 or later, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage. (If you're using an earlier version of iOS, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage.) Then tap the name of your iOS device. The backup size is under Photo Library.

To reduce the size of your Photo Library backup, save your photos and videos to your computer, then manually back up your iOS device. If you want to keep your photos and videos on your iOS device, you can turn off Photo Library in Backup using the steps above or purchase more storage. If there are any photos that you don't want to keep, you can delete them. Just open photos and select the item you want to delete. Then click the Trash icon and tap Delete Photo.

copied from:

iCloud: Managing your iCloud storage

What will happen to the photos on my iPhone 5 if I turn off Camera Roll under Manage Storage/This Phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.