Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does my iPhone 6 have vocal recognition of incoming calls?

I have a new iPhone 6. My husband has a free flip phone. When he gets an incoming call, the phone announces "call from John Smith." Does my phone have that ability?

iPhone 6

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 7:04 PM

Call announcement?

I don't think so... that may be a carrier feature you could inquire about.

I know Google Voice has that option, but overall, this requested feature isn't widely used...

18 replies

Mar 24, 2015 7:13 PM in response to Estcoo

No, it doesn't. I seem to recall seeing an app once that would make ring tones from contact names. You could then use the ringtones as the individual ringtones for each of your contacts. Sorry, but I don't recall the name.

For people who are important to me, I assign custom ring and/or text tones.I know who's calling or texting and the people around me don't.

Submit your feedback directly to Apple using the appropriate link on the Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Best of luck.

Mar 24, 2015 7:15 PM in response to Estcoo

My BlueAnt Bluetooth headset will do that, as long as the caller is in my Contacts list. However, that is not out loud for everyone around to hear, that is only when using the Bluetooth headset. Just an option if you are interested. I believe some of the Plantronics sets do it as well, but you would need to check. I'm only aware of the BlueAnt.

Mar 24, 2015 7:28 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

My BlueAnt Bluetooth headset will do that, as long as the caller is in my Contacts list. However, that is not out loud for everyone around to hear, that is only when using the Bluetooth headset. Just an option if you are interested. I believe some of the Plantronics sets do it as well, but you would need to check. I'm only aware of the BlueAnt.

I'm a bit dim tonight. I use a BlueAnt and I didn't even think of it. Good suggestion, Chris.

Mar 25, 2015 5:34 PM in response to Estcoo

-> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/caller-id-ringtones-hear-who/id317855277?mt=8

-> http://appcrawlr.com/ios-apps/best-apps-talking-caller-id

If you have a Mac, it’s very simple to create your own sound file with your own text message being spoken. Something like;

Hey, Bob is calling you. You should really answer the phone, It might be important.

(Try this. Select the text above (or any text) then right click - Speech - Start speaking to hear what is sounds like).

You can then add it as a ringtone to iTunes and assign it to a contact.

1. Type some text in any app (Textedit is fine). Select it right click > Services > Add to iTunes as spoken track. You can select the voice to use. Make sure to name it something useful like Bob's ringtone.
  2. This will open iTunes and add the new track as a song. Drag this new file from the iTunes window to the desktop.
  3. Delete the file from iTunes and also select Delete from hard drive.
  4. On the desktop, rename the file Bob's ringtone.m4r (first part you can change to whatever you want & change the extension to .m4r).
  5. Drag the file back to the iTunes library at top left.
  6. Make sure iTunes prefs > General has Tones ticked
  7. Select the iPhone, click the Tones tab and tick the tones you want on the iPhone and sync.
  8. On the iPhone, open Contacts, select the contact then Edit.
  9. Tap Ringtone and select the ringtone you just added.

Mar 31, 2015 3:26 PM in response to Chris CA

I was very hopeful, but the procedure suggested does not cause iTunes to open on my system. When I open it manually, I can find no trace of the track that was supposed to have been loaded. I listed all contents of my library by length to make sure I wasn't missing it. Further suggestions?

FWIW, I have a late 2012 iMac running current versions of Yosemite and iTunes.

Thank You

Does my iPhone 6 have vocal recognition of incoming calls?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.