Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

v3.6 yosemite PhotoStream options and upgrade possible?

hi all,

i would like to keep using aperture until i get the time to sort all my images and make sure my database is well organized.

however, i recently ran into an issue with my iPhone where i had 40+ GB of photos on my phone and no room for apps.

so i have downloaded ALL photos from my phone into my database on my mac pro and i would now like to set up photo stream so i can have access to the most recent photos on my phone.

in Preferences > iCloud i am seeing an option to CHECK PhotoStream

1. this will presumably simply allow my phone to access the most recent photos that i downloaded to my computer is that right? i mean, otherwise i would have NO photos on my iPhone.

2. are there other consequences of checking this?

3. i would like to import my photos from my phone to the mac pro database MANUALLY so i can sort them into the appropriate folders.

A. Does "Automatic Import" mean that all photos on my phone are automatically imported to the photo stream database without my having to manually plug in the phone? i mean, i /don't/ want to do this as i would rather just import them manually.

B. what does "Automatic Upload" mean again?

RIGHT NOW I AM JUST CHECKING THE PHOTOSTREAM CHECKBOX...

also are there any negative consequences to this setup? i know i could re-read the manual on this but i screwed it up so badly the first time i tried to set this up with the manual i don't want to try this without getting some advice first.

oh - also, is there an update that i can do from 3.6 or is this the most current version?

THANKS

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 3:56 PM

You know what I'd do? I'd turn off PhotoStream in Aperture entirely. Then I'd wait for 10.10.3 to ship, upgrade to it, and enable iCloud Photo Library on OS X and iPhone, and keep all my iPhone images in there. Then in Aperture, I'd have no Photo Stream stuff. I'd use Photos for the iOS stuff, and Aperture for the DSLR stuff. And then figure out what to do later.

Way easier than trying to get something like what you're looking to do working with PhotoStream at present.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2015 3:56 PM in response to hotwheels22

You know what I'd do? I'd turn off PhotoStream in Aperture entirely. Then I'd wait for 10.10.3 to ship, upgrade to it, and enable iCloud Photo Library on OS X and iPhone, and keep all my iPhone images in there. Then in Aperture, I'd have no Photo Stream stuff. I'd use Photos for the iOS stuff, and Aperture for the DSLR stuff. And then figure out what to do later.

Way easier than trying to get something like what you're looking to do working with PhotoStream at present.

Mar 26, 2015 7:28 AM in response to William Lloyd

hi william

i am using mostly my iPhone but I like the idea of not using photo stream in aperture.

also so I am primarily using iPhone for all my photos now with some exceptions. and I want to do just a normal manual import into an unnamed folder into this database from the phone.

is iPhoto's working and syncing via iCloud now?

what do you think about my /importing/ photos to aperture manually as I have been doing and then using iphoto to sync via iCloud? this way I can drop images I need to get to my iPhone into iphoto on my computer and I can see them on my iPhone...?!!

does that sound like it would work?

Apr 5, 2015 10:29 AM in response to Lanny

hi lanny.

so the deal is that there is /no/ iPhoto in yosemite now but that there is one in IOS?

and at some point they will release iPhoto for OS X and then we can talk about various options for migrating from Aperture or using other Sync options?

from the sounds of William's post i guess this is going to be called "Photo Library" on the OS X and the IOS and i can start using these new sync options instead of PhotoStream/

THANKS

Apr 5, 2015 11:51 AM in response to hotwheels22

so the deal is that there is /no/ iPhoto in yosemite now but that there is one in IOS?

It's not helping when you use the wrong names for things. iPhoto does exist for Yosemite, but it's not part of Yosemite, you have to purchase it separately.

from the sounds of William's post i guess this is going to be called "Photo Library" on the OS X and the IOS

No, it will be called Photos. Photos hasn't been released yet, but will be part of Yosemite when 10.10.3 is released.

Apr 5, 2015 12:10 PM in response to hotwheels22

The latest version of iPhoto - iPhoto 9.6.1 - is compatible with Yosemite. You will be able to run it, as long as you have a compatible MacOS X version.

iPhoto on iOS, on the other hand, is no longer supported on the newest iOS version. If you ever upgrade your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8, be prepared, that iPhoto can no longer launch and you will have to migrate the iPhoto Library to Photos.

Apr 5, 2015 12:33 PM in response to léonie

hi leonie,

correct me here is i am wrong please.

i currently have Photos app as part of IOS on my iPhone and i /will/ have a Photos app as part of OS X as soon as they release it.

Aperture /can/ interface with my iPhone via Photos app on IOS if i activate PhotoStream. or alternatively i can wait until Photos for OS X comes out, since my Photos app on my phone with OS X and just let my phone communicate with my machines via the Photos App.

Photos could then be used primarily for /syncing/ photos and Aperture could then be used primarily as my photos database - presumably by manually importing organizing all photos in Aperture.

does that sound like a strategy moving forward.

thanks!

jon

Apr 5, 2015 12:37 PM in response to Lanny

hi lanny,

so iPhoto used to come with the OS for free but presumably if i now have Aperture i don't have a need to buy iPhoto for Yosemite - particularly when it sounds like a (replacement?) app is coming out in Photos for OSX? is that right?

if i then start to use this Photos App on IOS and OSX to /sync/ my photos i will then potentially have two Photo Libraries with one being in the OSX Photos app (which will be synced to my phone) and the other being my Aperture database which i will use as a static image database.

does that sound like a sound strategy for dealing with these variously released and variously named creatures?

THANKS

Apr 5, 2015 12:42 PM in response to léonie

hi leonie.

one question even though i am not sure it has a practical application - is there a reason i don't see iPhoto in yosemite? i mean, i guess the deal is that i bought this app when i bought an iLife disk ages ago but for some reason it is no longer on my HD? could i /load/ it from the iLife disk if i wanted to? i guess i am confused on this one and sort of interested in knowing how i dropped it either intentionally or unintentionally.

thanks

Apr 5, 2015 1:04 PM in response to hotwheels22

Aperture /can/ interface with my iPhone via Photos app on IOS if i activate PhotoStream.

Yes, Aperture can still sync with Photo Stream, like you have used it before. Downloading from My Photo Stream will work in any case. but upload to My Photo Stream from Aperture will not work, if you enable iCloud Photo Library (Beta) on the mobile device.

or alternatively i can wait until Photos for OS X comes out, since my Photos app on my phone with OS X and just let my phone communicate with my machines via the Photos App.

right.

Apr 5, 2015 1:14 PM in response to hotwheels22

one question even though i am not sure it has a practical application - is there a reason i don't see iPhoto in yosemite? i mean, i guess the deal is that i bought this app when i bought an iLife disk ages ago but for some reason it is no longer on my HD? could i /load/ it from the iLife disk if i wanted to? i guess i am confused on this one and sort of interested in knowing how i dropped it either intentionally or unintentionally.

iPhoto 9.6.1 is now free at the AppStore. Apple will remove it from the App Store and no longer offer it for sale, as soon as MacOS X 10.10.3 comes out. Frankly, if you are in doubt, if you want iPhoto or not, get it now, and make a backup copy. You will not be able to get it at all, if you wait too long.

I have Aperture, but I use iPhoto as well, primarily, to be able to browse and compare two aperture libraries at the same time. And I use it to adjust the dates and times on scanned photos, or to create calendars or cards. You may want to have a look at my user tip: Keep iPhoto - It May Come in Handy!

v3.6 yosemite PhotoStream options and upgrade possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.