Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme guest network drastically slower than primary network. Is there a setting?

I get very good speeds, up to 120M using online speed tests when connected directly to my Airport Extreme. If I use the guest network, the speed drops to about 1.2M. I have tried this with different devices, locations and network settings and the guest network is consistently slower. Are there settings I can change to improve this?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 7:21 PM

5 replies

Mar 24, 2015 7:45 PM in response to xopheres

It has been reported by a number of people..

Try slow in this thread about guest.

guest network does not work when bridging airport express to extreme

Guest network has been problem for a long long while.

There is nothing to control it.. it seems to be ok on the main router but anything extending the network will show this problem.

You may need to simply work around it by using a different method.

Mar 24, 2015 8:32 PM in response to xopheres

Nothing is more frustrating than the guy who posts to say......"it works for me".

I'm scratching my head here. I rarely use the guest network on the AirPort Extreme, but I enabled it and ran a few quick checks.

On a 50 Mbps Internet connection, I got an average of about 44 Mbps over wireless on the "main" network with the laptop about 20 feet from the AirPort router.

I got an average of 42 Mbps when I ran a check on the "guest" network at the same distance from the router.

I'll keep an eye on things over the next few days and will report anything that changes significantly.

Mar 27, 2015 1:36 PM in response to xopheres

SOLVED! (I think)

Guest Network on Apple products only work as intended if enabled on the main router (in my case, the one that is connected via WAN port to the cable modem that is in bridge mode) you can get the full speed out of the guest network. I suspect this has something to do with the VLAN implementation, but still researching that.

If, however, your guest network is enabled on another airport product that is just functioning as an AP in bridge mode, the guest network has trouble connecting and also is very slow. 4M vs 120M in my case. In some cases, it would not even connect to the guest network at all.

For me, the problem is solved as it was no big deal to just implement the guest network from the main router, but I do wish you could enable the guest wifi without also having main wifi. Perhaps just do it as a hidden network and it accomplishes the same thign.

-C

Mar 27, 2015 7:02 PM in response to xopheres

VLAN implementation is solid and correct.. what is wrong is the need for the unit to be in router mode to do it.. although people here have managed to get around it using a managed switch.. where they can set vlan.

AFAIK guest mode should not work at all if the apple router is bridged... without a link to extend wireless from a main apple router that has guest turned on.. but all kinds of strange stuff can happen.. no question about that.

Mar 27, 2015 7:38 PM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague wrote:

VLAN implementation is solid and correct.. what is wrong is the need for the unit to be in router mode to do it.. although people here have managed to get around it using a managed switch.. where they can set vlan.

AFAIK guest mode should not work at all if the apple router is bridged... without a link to extend wireless from a main apple router that has guest turned on.. but all kinds of strange stuff can happen.. no question about that.

Guest most definitely DOES work (not at all well) when router is bridged. I now agree it should not be allowed.

Airport Extreme guest network drastically slower than primary network. Is there a setting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.