Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Who to combine/merge two iTunes folders without duplicates

We use two MacBooks in our household, each accessing their own iTunes library

- although 95% of the music is identical (= rips of our ancient cd collection).

We are hoping to merge these two libraries now - if possible, without creating duplicates.

Current scenario:

Macbook #1: iTunes accesses iTunes Media folder on external drive

MacBook #2: iTunes accesses iTunes Media folder on internal drive

Planned scenario:

- merge ALL music into iTunes Media folder on the external drive, freeing up valuable hard drive space on MacBook #2

- avoid duplicate songs (most songs are present in both iTunes Media folders - mostly my old cd collection & some iTunes purchases from shared account)

I don't need to preserve any plan lists / counts from MacBook #2's iTunes, so what is the safest way to merge/combine these two libraries?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 7:15 PM

2 replies

Mar 27, 2015 2:56 PM in response to J and F__

Hey J & F,

It seems like you want to combine two iTunes Libraries from two computers and avoid as many instances of duplicates as possible. I would like to suggest that you use Home Sharing in order to accomplish this, as it seems like the most elegant solution:

iTunes 12 for Mac: Use Home Sharing to import items from another iTunes library

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19614

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Braden

May 4, 2015 7:50 PM in response to braden85

Thanks, Braden. Finally following up on the iTunes "merge" project.

Home Sharing indeed sounds like it will accomplish ecstasy what I am hoping to do!

Quick question: now that both computer's libraries seem to be in "sync", can I now safely delete the iTunes media folder on one of the computers?

I am hoping to make space on my MacBook, while still occasionally listening to some music (hosted on the other computer) ...

Who to combine/merge two iTunes folders without duplicates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.